Another Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ILoveYou, May 9, 2005.

1. ILoveYou

ILoveYou Geek Trainee

Well.. my computer is making me angry. I just had it fixed and the same problem still occurs! The guy who repaired it said that it is not a problem in my computer but in the software. I tried to re-install XP, tried different drivers for the graphics card etc but nothing seems to help. And this is the problem: Couple times a day my system freezes and the screen goes blurry. I hear one "beep" and the whole computer is stuck. Sometimes when I wait, the screen flashes and everything is okay again, but usually only rebooting helps. Here's a screenshot:

http://img23.echo.cx/img23/8599/hmmm0oo.jpg

Oh and btw, this never happens in games like Counter-Strike:Source or Doom 3. Only when I browse websites or do something on my desktop.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

what are your temps?

3. ILoveYou

ILoveYou Geek Trainee

Usually 40-45C and after I start playing games they rise up to 55.

4. ninja fetus

that's quite toasty. What about your video card temps?

5. ILoveYou

ILoveYou Geek Trainee

Oh, I ment my video card temps. My computer is 33C

6. ninja fetus

If you paid any money to the person who repaired I would take it back to them, explain you reinstalled windows and they didn't fix a thing.

7. ILoveYou

ILoveYou Geek Trainee

I tried that - he said he doesnt know what's wrong. :(

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, just my $0.02 but I'd 'fire' him for starters. I really don't mean to sound arrogant, but I've worked with PCs professionally for about 7 years now, and I honestly believe that just about every person on these forums seems to know more about PCs than that tech.

The problem seems to be the opposite of what the tech is claiming. By the look of it, it seems to be a hardware problem rather than software. I do differ that it could in fact be corrupted video drivers or a bad DLL in DirectX. First, let's assume the guy is right and it is a software problem. You'd want to do the following, which is the first thing the technician should have tried:
    1. Download and install the latest version of DirectX.
    2. Download and install the latest version of your motherboard's chipset drivers.
    3. Download and install the latest version of your video drivers.
    If the problem was related to a corrupted library or some other such software issue, the problem will go away. If it continues or gets worse, you've more than likely got one or more hardware issues on your hands. Please try my recommendations, let us know how it goes, and we'll go from there.

All the best,
    -AT

9. ILoveYou

ILoveYou Geek Trainee

Okay, thanks :) I will try those and if it doesn't work, I'm gonna speak with the guy again.. Thank god I only just buyed it so I don't have to pay for repair. Ummm.. I went to the Gigabyte website.. How do I know if my motherboard is "rev1" or "rev2" ?