Anti Static ???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by thhancock3, Sep 15, 2006.

1. thhancock3

thhancock3 Geek Trainee

Im going to build my PC soon and im not sure how to use the anti static wrist band. Some people have said that you can just connect it to the PC case when the powers on but how does that work. Also I have been advised not build on a carpet which I was planing on doing.

What does anyone else thiink.

Thank you

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

For building a PC make sure the power is not connected to the motherboard or any of the components. Connect the anti-static wristband to an exposed metal part of the case (if you didn't have one just touching an exposed metal part of the case every few minutes would do the job).

Make sure you build on a sturdy non-conductive surface - placing the motherboard on top of the motherboard box (on a table) is fine. Carpet is one of the worst things to build on, things moving around on it cause static and static will kill components even if you're being extremely careful - make sure not to wear any nylon / woolen clothing either as they'll generate static too.

3. Addis

Addis The King

If you meant not building while standing on a carpet floor then geneally thats ok. I've never had any problems with carpets, although it may help to be on a wooden floor. I think Matt thought that you were planning on placing the components on the actual floor.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah like this n00b who told me to f*** off after I told him building on the floor was dangerous and corrected him in a few areas - he obviously didn't like being told he was wrong.

5. zeus

zeus out of date

I wouldnt wear a tracksuit either! I get static shocks all day long in my trackies.

Ive never bothered with an anti-static wristband ive just touched a radiator every now and then. I suppose a radiator is another alternative for attaching your wristband to.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what a plank :doh: , glad he's not working on my PC, muppet:doh:

7. zeus

zeus out of date

EDIT: I typed "I would wear a tracksuit" instead of "wouldnt" !!! :eek:
    You definatly DONT want to wear a tracksuit!

And now I pressed quote instead of edit! :doh: :stars:

8. dumluck

dumluck Geek Trainee

As a bench tech in a previous life, I found that clipping it to the Screw/Nut holder next to the com port or the parallel port worked best for me...:cool:

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I just ground myself by touching the power supply. That YouTube dork isn't all that. Generally, synthetic stuff tends to be more of a static-contributor, even more so when it's cold.