Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Orcheon, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Orcheon

Orcheon Geek Trainee

OK, since i'm lost, i'll see what other people tell me to do.
    Using:

Nvidia 7800 GTX.
    ASUS A8V-XE.
    AMD Athlon 3400+.
    48x CD-RW, 16x DVD-ROM
    2048 MB RAM DDR-400(2x 512 1x 1024)
    160 GB HARD DRIVE [S-ATA] Western Digital 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
    And a new power supply that I just installed this morning, 500W, replacing my old 400W.

What the computer does is on bootup, the screen flickers, and sometimes it gets to the windows screen and goes black, and sometimes it doesn't and still goes black. The lights in the front of the case(Trinity ATX Mid-Tower Case) go red.
    This was also occuring before I installed the new power supply; I assumed my power supply was dead and It needed to be replaced.
    Any ideas?

The computer is almost 3 years old, but i've replaced the power supply 3 times(when the computer arrived, another one about a year and a half later and once today) and the motherboard once(about 6 months ago), and the CPU once.

Atm, I can't boot up in safe mode, either, but I can access the BIOS.
    My first thoughts are--
    Fried Video Card.
    Problem in BIOS(I did reset it to the default)
    Edit:I suppose it's also possible that I installed the PSU wrong, but the fact that the computer is doing the same thing tells me that it's not.

Also, prior to installing the new PSU the computer was saying at boot that the POST was interrupted or overclock fail(or something like that), but I don't overclock. Since installing the new PSU, it has stopped saying that at boot.

2. AJAI

AJAI Geek Trainee

Is the same problem occuring while connecting your display from on-board display interface ?

3. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

That board hasnt got in integrated gpu if I remember correctly. The fact that you can boot to the BIOS but not windows worries me. It seems the VGA is probably fine, but a driver/windows file could be corrupt. I know with ATI cards there was a driver issue where the DVI output would not work unless reseated after Windows was booted up. But this is an nVidia which I haven't heard of having this problem with. Now your HDD status light going red could be normal, as it's accessing your HDD to load everything. I would think you could go into Safe Mode if it were Windows though... But that is the first place I would go to, first try a restore and if that is a no-go then try to reload windows. obviously you will know if Windows will let you load it before you do anything to your partition. If it doesn't work then you can continue trying different things, if it does let you try to load windows, load it. Just start anew.