Are these ram sticks compatible?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Somersault, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Somersault

Somersault Geek Trainee

I didn't have problems until like a month after I put some new sticks of ram into my computer. I'm running a P7H55-M PRO ASUS mobo, and I tried adding some ram to my computer. Originally I had the F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL x2 (2GB) in it. What I added was the F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL x2 (2GB).

Problem:
    Wasn't until about a month after, I started having problems with my computer where it would suddenly crash or maybe bsod. When it happened, I was trying to view a absurd resolution picture online. I figured out that "it" was causing my computer to crash. I restarted dozens of times, until I was finally able to run it without crashing. I checked the image online again to see if it'd crash, and it did.
    Few weeks later, I was starting to crash simply browsing the Window's Explorer, such as when I'm trying to select an avatar or attach a file to an e-mail. This would "only" happen when I open a folder with lots of files. I was able to crash it at will by browsing a folder with just ~20,000 images. So I've kind of narrowed it down to the ram, and after testing each stick I'm starting to think it's because I've bought incompatible ram.

Tests:
    -I reformatted my computer.
    -I tried out MemTest on them all together, completed tests no problems.
    -I just tested the computer with each stick individually to see if there were any problems with an individual one - no problems.

I'm positive it's because of the ram, but just in case..
    Specs:
    CPU=IntelCorei3
    OS=Win7 64bit
    GPU= RadeonHD5870

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

not sure about what you have in there now, BUT that motherboard supports 16 gig MAX, and your ram should be ONE of the following..
    DDR3 - 2133/1333/1066 ..... This is what I found about your Ram..

3. Somersault

Somersault Geek Trainee

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

How many slots is there ? To test a slot try this.. Remove all ram, next install only one chip at a time testing each slot...

5. Somersault

Somersault Geek Trainee

4 slots, just tested them --- all seemed to work through the problem I had crashing; looks like they just don't work together. I also tried the newer ones on each slot. I don't know what else it could be!

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Interesting issue. Friend of mine few years back had the same exact issue. He had like 10,000 pics in one folder and when he tried to scroll down and view em all, windows would crash and restart. I think the problem was with his video card. I don't remember what i did to cure it unfortunately, but take a crack at the video card. Update the drivers if you haven't already. I remember disabling "thumbnail" view which might have cured the issue so you can try and set the view to "list" or "icon".

4 of those sticks should run with each other without a problem. They're the same speed and same brand. Timing doesn't matter.

7. Somersault

Somersault Geek Trainee

I've tried without the thumbnail view with all 4 sticks in, it would still crash -- I've been using 2 sticks again lately, seems to work no problem.
    GPU seems fine when I use it for a lot of power, such as running a few games and watching high resolution videos all open at the same time with all 4 sticks in, I also read somewhere on tomshardware forums that the Ripjaws X series (which is the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231427) have trouble running together with others, so I think that might just be it.