Bios

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by kayber, Mar 17, 2007.

1. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

I recently had to put a new CPU in my PC. I changed boards also. The board is identical to what i had but i blew the old one somehow. I went from a 3.2 Pent 4 to a 3.0 Pent 4. Now i get this message "CPU has changed, do you want to setup in BIOS" as I start up. DO I have flash the bios? because I see its set to the new CPU but the time is all screwed up its in 2002 for some reason. I just reinstalled windows, dont know if that will help.

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Doing a setup in the BIOS will not flash the BIOS. Have you tried doing the setup?

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, flashing the BIOS is a last resort, only do it if you know it will fix the problem
    just enter the BIOS and set it to your current CPU

BTW: the reason your time / date is wrong is probably because your BIOS battery is dead, it's like a big watch battery, it's probably a CR2032 battery, check here

4. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Its odd i go into the BIOS i go to CPU settings and it doesnt let me change anythign their greyed out. The info is correct but not changable.

The time keeps changing back to 2002. Might be the battery I'd have to check. Good call

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

if it's correct then the mobo has already automatically updated when you inserted the new CPU
    no probs

6. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Let me explain what I did a bit better.

I fried my board. My friend had the same board lying around. I also fried my Pent 4 CPU which was 3.2. Anyway I got a Pent 4 CPU 3.0 from work and I put it in his board. We installed it and it seems fine. No more over heating issues or anything. Well when i boot up i get this message at the load screen "your CPU has been updated, change in BIOS or load defaults." Well I load defaults and I get to Windows fine. If I got to edit the BIOS I can get to the CPU config but the info seems correct. I can only edit four things which seem fine. The stuff not edited says CPU Pent 4 3.0 and its all greyed and not editable.

I just did a ton of updates on Windows and now my clock is working correct and such but I still get that BIOS thing at startup.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

oh right, go into BIOS and save settings to CMOS and exit (usually F10)

8. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Yes I cant' edit the CPU settings through just three things The Auto Hyper Thread, and some other stuff.

F10 is save and exit.

Its' odd..i dont know wish I could take a screen and show you.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what exactly are you trying to do

have you got access to a digital camera, a decent webcam or a mobile phone (cell phone) with a built in camera

10. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Webcam yes..Digital Camera no..and I dont think my webcam does much good it sucks :)

Let me write down word for word what is editable and what isnt ..I'll repost and thank you so much for helping, every grateful :)

11. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Okay this is the section that I can edit..

VID CMOS Setting: 62 (This one i try to edit and it wont let me but its not colored in grey and uneditable.)

Max CPUID: Disabled
    CPU Internal Thermal Control: Auto
    Hyper Threading Technology: Enabled

The rest is in grey and wont let me edit it..but its the actual CPU spead, make, and RAM.

I noticed too that my RAM says that I have 1 gig but I have two sticks of 512, shouldn't it say 1024?

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:confused:
    1024Mb is 1Gb

13. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Good point I guess I'm absent minded. Your right 1 gig ...lol

I'm just trying to get the PC to stop asking me to config BIOS or load defaults at startup. I'm just loading defaults it seems to work fine.

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right, just enter BIOS load defaults then save to CMOS and exit (F10)

BTW: you then need to agree by pressing
    Code:
    y
    then <enter>

15. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

f10 is save and exit...what i do is when it starts up i hit f2 load default settings on the black load up screen it boots me to windows. I've been using that for now. Your saying go into BIOS F1, and load defaults? Then go to F10 save and exit?

Is there a setting for defaults in the actual BIOS?

Forgive me I'm learning as I go.

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah

that depends, each motherboard can use a different BIOS, what is the make & model of your motherboard ?
    and i'll try to find the manual online[ot]although i hate manuals, LOL[/ot]

don't worry, people are not born knowing stuff, everybody has to learn[ot]what kind of teacher would i be, if i left you alone to figure it out[/ot]

17. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

ASUS P4P800SE Socket 478 Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks so much for your help and I too remember those Transformers as a kid. I remember my buddy use to have the guy that turned into the gun. I never got that into them but all my friends had them lol

Had to toss that in :)

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

your motherboard (mobo) manual is here (Asus's server is down i north america, check back later)

BTW: presumably you are in north america

[ot]
    yeah, he was called Galvatron, and he was the leader of the Decepticons, the image on the right in my sig pic is the decepticon symbol[/ot]

BTW: if you want to know anything, just ask, the people are great here

19. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

Yes Florida to be exact..cool i'll check it out I want to fix this thing.

20. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

I don't know its just very strange there is nothing I change that makes the BIOS skip that message at the load screen.