Bootup prblem please help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Addis, May 1, 2004.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Can anyone please help? I get constant problems with computers, (maybe its just me). Anyway, my custom built pc recently started to act strangely. Sometimes when in normal use, the screen goes blank; fans slow down; hard cd drive makes strange noises. This usually happens then when i try to restart, the computer does even start up, just does it again. Because this happens almost instantly when i turn it on, i don't think its the RAM, drives or graphics card. I suspect its my motherboard that causing this. Any help will be appreciated.

Spec:
    MSI K7N2 delta-L
    Athlon 2700 T/Bred B
    GeForceFX 5900
    Seagate barracuda 7200.7
    LG GCE something something

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What power supply do you have? A crummy PSU can cause all sorts of problems.
    However, the symptoms point to the motherboard most likely.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I agree with B. Sounds like either the PSU or the MB to me.

4. Addis

Addis The King

do you think it could be the RAM? My computer does one very short beep as soon as you start it. My BIOS is Phoenix. Or it might be Award.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

One beep signifies that it's good. MSI uses either an Award Phoenix or AMI BIOS.
    RAM is a possibility, as I did have that board awhile back and it was picky as hell over the RAM...and I eventually returned it because of that. However, I had trouble getting it to even boot from the get go.

6. Addis

Addis The King

its one beep but its not the normal one. Instead of the strong, loud one, i get a quiet short one as soon as i turn it on. My PSU is a Codegen 400W.

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

if you can try testing another PSU in your machine thats ahving problems (one that you know works fine) if all is still the same its most likely your motherboard..

and if u cant be bothered to test your ram or MB by deduction.. get a rubber and a soft lead pencil run the soft lead pencil over your motherboard hard.. then get rid of the marks using the rubber (causing static) also, get the rubber and rub it over your ram very fast causing lots of static.. therefore this will definately stuff your ram and motherboard then send em back (although do this once u've removed it from case and they have no connections to any electricity or any working components)*

*of course only do this if they are still under warranty because u'll get a full replacement for both parts (or should do)

also.. this is just an "idea" nothing that i have ever done myself :)

8. Addis

Addis The King

Thanks but i think its my processor. I'll try to swap some components. PC World said they chardge £50 for the first hour and £25 every one after that for repairs. I don't think thats including the cost of new components if needed!

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, that's how they make the real money.

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

if your computer is past its warranty go and take it to a small computer shop, u'll get it cheaper, cost you around £30 for the work, (as long as u tell them its the processor)

also.. if you brought your computer from PC World.. you really should be shot.

11. Addis

Addis The King

i'm glad i didn't. For value for money pc world is really crap.

12. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

yeh, just 2 say, soz for flame :) wasnt intentional..

even tho it wasnt a flame, cos it wasn't directed at him as an insult as his pc didn't come from pc world!