Can i share internet connection without a router?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by glenn69, Oct 16, 2004.

1. glenn69

glenn69 Geek Trainee

I have 1 desktop computer and 1 laptop. I would like to be able to use the same satellite internet connection for both computers, however NOT at the same time. in other words I will either be on the latop OR the desktop, but not both at the same time.

Since I do not need access at the same time, I thought a router would be wasted money. Is there a way of doing this (not wireless)?

Please don't suggest that I unplug the desktop and plug in the laptop or vice versa....I have already considered that as a last resort.

Thanks

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, you can do it via Windows' built-in 'Internet Connection Sharing', but I don't recommend it. It's just a convenient way for script kiddies or worms to get two birds with one stone, and compromise both systems simultaneously. If you can, I *would* recommend a router, even if you're only going to have one system on the internet. If you can't afford that or simply don't want to, I'd recommend the unplugging and re-plugging method. Troublesome, yes. But if you don't want to buy a router, (or build one), it's the only sensible solution.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

IMO, the router is the only real option here.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

And for a echo in the building...buy a router or build one. Hell, if you can get a Pentium (as in Pentium 1) box for free, that'd work dandy. Look for [google]Smoothwall[/google] or [google]IP Cop[/google] and install it as the OS on the system and have at least 2 NICs (3 wouldn't hurt in your case).

That's basically the options besides ICS and unplugging them.

5. Anti-Trend

Yup. And IPCop is good enough that I have the whole corperation I work for behind one!

6. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Ya can its just not very secure.

7. Anti-Trend

IP tables is plenty secure. What are you talking about?

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I have no idea I was tired last night and reading the post now i see I posted a completely rong thing sorry my bad

9. Anti-Trend

Oh, I see what happened. No harm, I was just wondering what was up with that! :p