Computer boot problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dave35k, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

Heyy

Ive got a computer that shuts down straight after the XP loading screen and also when you try and enter the recovery console of the XP cd.

Ive tried the following:
    Run memtest86
    run hdd diagnostic disc
    swap the sata hdd out with a standard ide hdd with xp installed
    checked hardware temperaturs etc

after trying all of the above the problem still remains any ideas?

Cheers Dave :cool:

2. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Okay I have just last week been through a rough time with my computer having crash-on-load problems too...

Hmm unfortunately yours sounds different. Do you say that it crashes consistently at the same exact point? Same loading point, that is? My problem was two-fold, but the crashes were not exactly consistent. They would do slightly different things and crash at slightly different times.

One of my issues was overheating, but you say that's not it. (What cpu temperature do you get? And do you check it via bios or a windows-based software?)

The other thing that helped was changing a memory setting in my bios. Every bios is different but mine had a setting where you could choose memory frequency either "by SPD" or "Auto". (There were other options but they had to be unlocked first by setting "user-defined" or something like that in a different setting.) When I had it set to "by SPD", it would crash upon loading windows. When I changed it to "Auto", or to the correct user-defined frequency, the computer was able to load into windows just fine. (Although then it would still crash during gaming. That second problem was due to overheating.)

I doubt it but perhaps that will help... good luck.

3. Sangangsumalee

Sangangsumalee Geek Trainee

when problems on a computer are stacking up and cause it to crash, the best solution is to "clean install" of Windows. This should erase any lingering software trouble on the PC and allow you to start over.

By follow the below steps:

Step 1Put your Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM drive and restart your computer. If you are able to get back into Windows after your crash, you can restart by clicking on the "Start" menu, choosing "Shut Down" and selecting ''Restart" from the drop-down menu. Otherwise, simply insert your CD in the drive and power up your computer.

Step 2Press a key on your keyboard when you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message. This will start your computer from the XP disk.

Step 3Hit "Enter" at the "Welcome to Setup" screen.

Step 4Hit the "F8" key after you have read the Microsoft Software License Terms.

Step 5Follow the directions on the screen to format (erase) part of your hard drive so that Windows XP can be installed. Input your software key when the screen that asks you to do so comes up. Formatting your hard drive and installing Windows XP will take some time after you have begun the process.

Hope this can fix your problems