Core i7 to use LGA1366 (Socket B)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scorps65, Oct 2, 2008.

1. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

"Socket B, also known as LGA1366, will supersede Intels's desktop Socket T (commonly referred as LGA775) in the high-end and performance desktop segments, also replacing server oriented Socket J(LGA771) in the entry level."
    Socket B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to an Intel spokesperson, the Core i7 identifier applies to the initial family of processors, Bloomfield, due to be launched in Q4 2008."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_i7

I'm semi-happy with this news folks. To elaborate, X58 chipsets will no longer use a front-side bus. The FSB will be replaced by QuickPath; an architecture that will include an integrated memory controller. Basically, it's a new architecture that won't bottleneck your new CPU like the FSB can. Although this is good news, those who are eager to overclock this new system will have to take a step back, hit the books (or should i say, web pages), and learn how the system works.

Furthermore, if you're planning to purchase the new Core i7 you'll have to include a new X58 motherboard to your cart. These motherboards will support DDR3 RAM so if you plan to transfer your DDR2 RAM i'm not sure if it'll work. Can anyone confirm that?

Overall, it is good news. I bought my PC almost a year ago and am a bit worried that i'll be left in the dust.

2. jaggy

jaggy Geek Trainee

Can't wait, and I've been waiting. I knew there was a reason I didn't buy my $2500 computer a month ago. Let's see what Intel will cook up this time.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depends on what the integrated memory controller offers in terms of support. If it's DDR3 only, you're probably SOL. Now, if some 3rd party came out with a chipset that sported a memory controller, then DDR2 could be optional, but that might depend on how Intel liscenses the Socket B platform.

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I paid $400 for mine last year.
    I love black Friday.

Well then, lets hope that its possible. I have a feeling that if a user had to purchase only DDR3 sticks for these motherboards, ram companies will sore their prices.

5. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Cool thanks for sharing the info

but why have Intel called their chip the Core i7 it sound like a cheap attempt at mesmerizing all those people who like products which have the letter i in front of its name.

6. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

My pleasure ;)

Yeah, sounds a little appleish. I've been searching around as to what the name means... no luck

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not really. Look at the chipsets: i440BX, i820/815/810, etc. Up until the P-series hit, you saw a lot of "i" in reference to Intel. If anything Apple's been pimping up the "i" in technology.

8. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Actually, you're right. My own motherboard is a 650i.
    Theres something about the i in core i7 that stands out i guess. I'm sure it'll be all forgotten once it comes out

9. Pimp

Ok fair enough guys but i still think it doesn't sound very original

they should have called it something sexy or something completely random.

10. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Sexy?
    lol "Intel HardCore i4some"

naa i'm just joshing around...

11. Pimp

lol hahaha yeah something like that.

I mean look at AMD they came out with the Phenom which i think is a cool name (btw i still don't know how you meant to pronounce it: Fee num OR Feh num)

12. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

It's fee-nom

13. jaggy

jaggy Geek Trainee

iTakeovertechmarket
    iTakeovertheworld
    iCollect

14. Pimp

You Americans prenounce it Fee-nom but we Brits call it Feh-nom but seen as AMD is an American product then i guess your way might be correct, however we invented the English language so i guess it's our way or the high way :chk:

15. Pimp

lol nice one

16. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

lol clever comeback

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm American, and I have no clue how the hell to pronounce Phenom.

AMD: next processor family name needs to be more clear. kthnxbye.