Dropped from Internet conn. repeatedly

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Jim, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Jim

Jim Geek Trainee

:mad: I get kicked off the internet regularly at irregular time periods. Sometimes its every 3 min. and then may not happen for a day or days. Have new wiring in my home and interface from tele. co. Any ideas? Could it be trouble with my modum? When kicked off, on re-connecting, there usually is an uncommon scratchy noise that seems to cause the re-connect to abort. Also, I appear to be connected but no action until I re-connect. Have Spy-bot and McAfee updated and running. Also Microsofts Antispyware.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

just wondering are you on 56k connection or broadband?

3. Jim

Jim Geek Trainee

56K. I reduced my max. port speed from 115600 down to 57600 yesterday. I was able to stay online for hours without problems. Thought this had helped, but just got disconnected twice in 3 min. today. thanks for any help..Jim

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

are you sure someone is'nt trying to call you? usualy it disconnects when someone calls you, I think you need to disable a call back service to stop it happening.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Yea callback services can mess with modem connections. Usually thers a number with #s and *s you have to call to disable it.

6. Jim

Jim Geek Trainee

It appears call-back may be the problem although I have it disabled as far as I am able to tell(*70) for Verizon. I know of times this has indeed caused a disconnect even with the *70 enabled on my end of the dial up ????