England fail to qualify for Euros

Discussion in 'Sports Forums' started by Addis, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Well no doubt you've heard all about it if you're a Brit. Or French or German for that matter. England slumped to a pathetic defeat last night against a good Croatia side, in which only a couple of players deserved to wear the shirt.

One of them was Beckham, the other was probably Crouch.

I'm not going to be a pundit and talk about the match itself, but instead it's going to be about the reason why the English in general (there's always the exceptions mind) are technically inferior to their continental opponents. Last night was a typical example of the one of the most overhyped players ever, Gerrard showing his lack of real world class quality by resorting to lumping the ball forward at any opportunity. It was symbolic of the problems with the English game. Last night's difference was that they couldn't even do the "hoof the ball up" very well. Aside from Crouch's excellent control and finish, and Beckham's superb trademark cross there was nothing to suggest England had more quality than a league 1 side.

Watching countries like Croatia, Russia, Spain, Portugal, Brazil and Argentina there seems to be something in common in varying levels. Nearly all of the players in those national teams are technically adequate if not good. These players can trap a ball, control, dribble with elegance and balance, pass with accuracy, beat their marker and maintain composure and possession in tight spaces. Most of the players in the England squad cannot do these things well, bar Rooney, Owen, Beckham and a few others to a lesser extent. Last night's game exposed the fact that below the first team, the quality is lacking seriously.

I think the problem exists at a level much lower than the senior side, sometimes even lower than the academies. For years, the pundits have always talked about playing the English style, high tempo and intense. Note, the word technical is never mentioned. When kids play football for their schools or local teams, do they ever get encouraged to practice their skill? I don't think so, too much emphasis is put on fitness and brute strength. The players that do show promise by daring to be different get scolded for wasting time or possession. So eventually they get it into their heads that skill and technique are secondary to discipline and athleticism. Young players must be taught to practice with the ball whenever they can.

Football is not just a game for those with physical ability though, a lot of football is played with the mind. You cannot be a great player if you don't have the creativity and intelligence to read a game, and influence it in your teams favour. Classic examples of this are players like Pirlo, Kaka, Scholes etc. Skills that that need experience which grows with time, and also intelligence.

So its the second England disappointed in as many years, and we'll have to wait for the World Cup 2010 for the next time England compete. Let's hope by then, some of the fundamental issues are being solved.

2. Tech

Tech Padawan

I think we shoud all accept that the English football team are always going to dissappoint in one way or another. What makes it worse is the delight the continentals take in english defeat, the spanish sports presenter was gleeful this morning as he announced the result on the news. Twat!

England should forget about football and convert to Rugby Union, even if the majority of the population can't understand the rules. 'Ave some of that you aussies, and frenchies, and argies, and scotts, and .............................

3. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

The 3 Lions is set to disappear from the emblem on England's next shirt. To be replaced by 3 tampons to represent the worst period in English football history.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Lets just hope we qualify for the next world cup! '94 was just as heart wrenching if not worse!

5. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

We are up against Croatia again in the world cup lol if England loose again i'm gonna go and live in Brazil they are sick of having the world cup. :)

ROONEY.........erm NO

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Rooney is one of those great players ive never seen play well in a game. And Terry. Im not denying they are good but ive never seen em do well. Look at all the stick Beckham and Crouch got.... they have been the only two to play well recently!
    Bring on Mourinho!

7. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

I think all our plays are world class except one, just that day was a bad day for England you could blame manager. But i think that Beckham is the only over payed piece of S**T player i have ever seen. hes never dribbled the ball more then two inches, never . Yes hes a world class crosser to other players but a footballer should have not only one good quality he must be good at all aspects of football.

8. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Lampard is like Ian wright - An amazing footballer but always rubbish for England.
    As for David Beckham; tbh i like to see him in the team. He always wants to do well and is one of the few players who look like they actually want to play for England.
    Ditch Owen & Rooney. The best in England, my arse. Rooney doesn't score and Owen is always injured.
    Gerard - Recent displays have been average, a good club footballer but form is an issue.
    Hargreaves - Is like the Queen, comes from Germany. Had a decent spell during the world cup though.
    Joe Cole - A shining star, when he's on form.
    Ashley Cole - Likes to get forward and should be kept in the frame.
    John Terry - He's a decent centre half, not sure of the Ferdinand partnership though.
    Ferdinand - Strong, good in the air, leads the back line well, has a mouth like a foghorn, keep him in.
    Right Back - they have had so many i forget who is the current one. Gary Neville held the position for so long, getting on a bit, time to look for a replacement.

The thing England seem to be lacking is the grit, determination, passion, and pride in representing there country. If only England followed the magnificent example set by Scotland, we'd have probably been going to Euro 2008.