Few questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by jari, Jan 16, 2007.

1. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I'm considering of buying some portable device that would allow reading ebooks and browsing the net as well listening some downloaded audio file. And I thought that since I need this only for study then maybe buying a laptop is investing too much money on such a simple tasks...
    So I would have a few questions to you all who have used such devices before. It would be great if you could give me some other tips as well regarding what I said above or direct to a some article.

So the questions are:

Can such device be connected to net via WLAN like PC? Or does it require its own system?

Can you buy them without OS? I thought using linux would save money.

How easy it is to move (or synchronize) data between such device and PC? Is there something like bluetooth available for this?

Thanks for reading!

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes
    usually you need to reclaim the money for the OS from either the vendor or Microsoft
    very easy
    exactly

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Handhelds, IPAQs...these are the things that works exactly like u have written. You can use it connect with 802.11 b/g for WLAN....They usually works with Microsoft Mobile PC's...so u dnt hve to buy a OS for it.
    With PC's you can connect it wirelessly or with USB cable..!

Matt Brunt is holding one of those.. I dnt knw which place u r from... Contact him, he might give u the one in good price...!:good:

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

Matt Brunt = Matt555

5. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Cool, thanks for the replies! Now I'm just wondering what model to buy. I want the cheapest and it need anything special, no camera or anything like that if they even have those.
    I sent PM to Matt.

One important question, is installing OS difficult? I have installed linux many times using CDs or netinstall but I wonder how its going to work with mobile devices. I suppose you need a special distro for that?

I'm also bit curious what is the common way for input, is it pen or the tiny keyboards? If I understand correctly you can plug small keyboards to some models.

And just one more question incase some one knows, how are the programming options for handhelds? I have programmed some java applications for my cell phone. I guess it depends on the OS and what is installed.

Thanks.