Firefox is doin' good!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zeus, Oct 9, 2007.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

I just went to my fav torrent site to notice they have posted some stats they have. It shows firefox is almost as popular as IE with their visitors......

Firefox
    Sep 18, 2007 - Sep 24, 2007 45.84%
    Sep 25, 2007 - Oct 1, 2007 46.19%

Internet Explorer
    Sep 18, 2007 - Sep 24, 2007 46.42%
    Sep 25, 2007 - Oct 1, 2007 46.07%

Opera
    Sep 18, 2007 - Sep 24, 2007 3.89%
    Sep 25, 2007 - Oct 1, 2007 3.79%

Safari
    Sep 18, 2007 - Sep 24, 2007 2.82%
    Sep 25, 2007 - Oct 1, 2007 2.91%

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

People who visit torrent sites got at least an average knowledge of computers, and many of those people know that there are alternatives for webbrowsing. You can actually see that websites targeted for computer geeks got a higher amount of Firefox visitors then a common website that mostly novice users visit. The amount of IE users is much higher there then the amount of Firefox visitors.

3. Tech

Tech Padawan

I have to admit though that Firefox's growing popularity is beggining to put me off using it. I have no complaints about its functionality but i initially decided to use it on security grounds and unforunatley its begining to attract the wrong kind of attention so I feel a move to another browser will be happening in the non to distant future. Shame really, FIrefox has served me well for a number of years and I've grown to love the Red Shift theme :(

4. John k

John k Geek Trainee

There has been a steady rise in FF downloads,but zeus coparisons is a little bit like going to an indian restaraunt and finding more people ordering a curry than ordering chicken and chips..what average user would go to a torrent site to download Internet explorer?

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It's not about what they're downloading, it's about what browsers they're using.

And who downloads Firefox through a torrent for that matter?

6. Addis

Addis The King

Firefox isn't any less secure because of this if thats what you're getting at. Trying to find an obscure solution to hide from the security issues isn't really a solution.

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've heard the same argument used with Linux before...

"There are no viruses for Linux as Windows has the most market share, therefore people concentrate on the security holes in that."

8. John k

John k Geek Trainee

yeah :doh: silly me.........

Still a wrong comparison on web browsers tho.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah it's not a 'fair' comparison of web browsers, people who'll be familiar with torrents are probably more likely to be more familiar with alternative software, consider your 'average' situation at home, parents buy computer, parents use computer, chances are, they're not looking for alternative options or using torrents, they'll use whatever comes with it as that's what seems easiest for them.

I know many many people who do.

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try Flock it is available for windoze, mac & *nix

BTW: Flock is an underdog

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What? No love for Opera?

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

alright, alright, Opera is here

[ot]although, personally i sometime use opera as a glorified download manager[/ot]

13. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I use the Down Them All download manager for Firefox.

14. Tech

Tech Padawan

Opera has never really caught my imagination for some reason. I guess I've always been happy with FireFox.
    Thanks for the tip donkey, when I've got the time I'll look into it although in the short term I expect I'll start using Epiphany seeing as I've already got it installed.

Still scratching my head on that one a little.....

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

personally, i use Swiftweasel as my browser & Swiftdove as my mail client, they are basically Firefox & Thunderbird but optimized for *nix

BTW: the deb's are here you may also like Iceweasel, just look & find a browser you like

Epiphany seemed a little basic to me when i tried it (i think)