help me and my system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sjhaycroft, Jan 14, 2007.

1. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

Recently i made a new computer the specs are :
    2.4ghz conroe core
    512mb geforce 7950gt
    corsair dominator 2gb
    730w hiperpower psu
    abit AW9D motherboard

i did have the evga nforce 680i, but i was experienceing problems with it so i exchanged it for the abit. however i can tell there is a difference in performance, stuff just doesnt open as quick with this new one, nor does it convert wma files to mp3 in itunes as fast. can anyone help me make it perform better ? or will i just have to settle?

2. Addis

Addis The King

I'd check your memory and CPU clock settings to make sure they're set for their rated speed. Look in the BIOS.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

When you swapped motherboards, did you do a clean install of Windows?

Do you have the latest drivers from Intel for the 975X chipset?
    How much of a difference do you see from the 680i and the AW9D?

4. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

i didnt install windows again. the difference is massive

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

How the :swear: did you manage that? :p

6. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

because windows is installed on the hard drive, not the motherboard right?

7. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

That goes without saying.

Last time I changed my mobo I had to do a fresh install. Nothing else worked.
    Do not get me wrong, I am very happy for you. I just wondered how it worked for you..... :dry:

8. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Worked fine for me when I swapped - no reinstall was necessary. I just had to remove the drivers from the old mobo chipset.

9. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

all I can say is - you lucky :swear: !
    Or maybe it is - I am an unlucky :swear:!!!!

10. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I think it is caused by the following: Windows loads the drivers of the devices that it has detected during setup. If you swap your motherboard, those drivers won't work with the onboard components of the new motherboard. So it can't boot then. But if the drivers are compatible with the onboard components of the other motherboard, then you are able to boot windows without needing to reinstall it.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You're getting there.

Basically, motherboards have a particular storage controller that comes with the chipset on said motherboard. If a new motherboard doesn't have the same chipset as the old one, the effect is like taking a Mexican citizen and dropping them in China. He can't communicate. That's the same effect.

Now, if you know you'll be swapping out motherboards, you can try to remove everything from device manager, swapping motherboards, then firing the system back up and see how it goes. You'll need to give it some time as it's redetecting everything (including the drive Windows is on---a real pain in the arse).

However, if you don't have that luxury, you probably will have to reinstall Windows. You might try and see if you can get into safe mode and remove everything from Device Manager and then boot as normal.

12. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

lol, you might need to get new oem windows if you decide to re-install and yes it was dumb not to ,probaly it all broken inside whats the word i love to say *corrupted*

13. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

by broken inside do u mean itd still be broke if i did a fresh install reinstall ? or fine

14. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

noi no joke soory ,just reinstall and re install your chiposet drivers and everthing and it should work , you can never change mobo and not reinstall windows ,that a naguty thing to do ........

do you have oem windows if so you might need to get a new copybeacuse of EULA it says some crap about it

15. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

got vista premium that im gonna put on later tnoight. currently running xp pro

16. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

ehhh , vista ,are we sure its not microsoft trying to take hold of all compter to trade for 153 nukes acrost the world trying to take it over and gentically make billion of atmic kittens ?

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Incorrect. At the very worst, you may have to call up Microsoft if you've installed your copy of Windows over the limit. However, from my experiences, the customer service in this regard was a pretty smooth transaction.

Your copy of XP is the same as the next guy. Microsoft just slaps different liscense keys with each copy, and that's what the money is going for. It'd be an awful lot of work to tie a key to a disc. Probably could be done, but it wouldn't be cost effective and could add to more licsense key issues.

The only time you'd need to purchase a new copy would be if you install XP on more than one computer (or, if volume liscensing, more than the liscensed # of computers or seats).