Hitachi Neso 2TB external USB HDD problems

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by ARTYCHOKEUK, Aug 25, 2012.

1. ARTYCHOKEUK

ARTYCHOKEUK Geek Trainee

I have spent many days trying to get a new Neso drive to function properly. It's hooked up to my Vista laptop and is a single cable, USB powered device.

It worked at first (EX32 format) then as a 300GB backup neared completion, failed to write. I decided to reformat to NTFS. It took well over 24hrs and still it hasn't provided a lasting solution though again it worked until I tried to write a large amount of data.

I've tried various things since. The upshot - I'm confused and very frustrated.

I optimised in Device Manager, for performance rather than quick removal. Although the drice appears in My Computer as 'Removable Drive U:\' I am unable to see 'properties' - it simply doesn't show. Shutdown now takes forever. I'm guessing it's trying to close down the USB Neso drive?

I've also noticed a Device Manager problem (yellow exclamation mark) Microsoft WPD Filesystem Volume Driver. I tried updating/reboot with no success.

I also downloaded the Hitachi Align tool to try and reformat with two partitions. Again although the drive appears to be present, it can't see it to carry out the task.

A fresh mind or two is needed. Please help.