How much computer hardware have you bought this year?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Big B, Nov 28, 2006.

?

$$ Spent on computer parts

1. Money to spend? That's funny

5.6%
  2. $0-50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. $51-150

16.7%
  4. $151-300

5.6%
  5. $301-500

16.7%
  6. $501-700

11.1%
  7. $701-1000

11.1%
  8. $1000-2000

27.8%
  9. Over $2k

5.6%
  1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While I didn't think I dropped a ton on PC parts this year, I still dropped close to $700-800 thanks to a wave of hard drive deaths (thank you, Maxtor) and a few optical drives giving up the ghost.

-80GB Seagate SATA
    -160GB Seagate SATA
    -40GB Hitachi/Samsung 2.5"
    -Crucial Ballistix 1GB kit
    -GeForce 7900GS
    -Athlon64 3700+
    -Pioneer DVR-111BK
    -Seagate 120GB PATA
    -Lite-ON 52x CD-ROM
    -OCZ Modstream 450

So, how about the rest of you?

2. zeus

zeus out of date

2gb hardrive 2.5"
    512mb PC3200
    128mb PC100
    SFF PSU
    80mm fan
    a whole new Sempron rig (320gbRaid0 SATA, gb RAM etc)
    KVM switch....
    err I think thats it. More than I first thought actually!

oh and a 1gb USB thing.

and some more...
    19" LCD
    2 DVD burners.
    And an adapter allowing me to plug 2.5" drives into my ATX m/b.

Plus Canonical were kind enough to give me 2 operating systems :) I did get a P3 500 rig for free too, and Windows 2000 server.

EDIT:
    A FSP PSU 300w
    RMAed a maxtor drive.

3. Chelski

Chelski Geek Trainee

<<<<< Basically the rig i have listed on my profile lol

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Have not really spent much once my rig was finished:
    circa £300 for the rig + new PSU @ £60 + new cooler @ £15 + circa £20 for bits and peices so all together = app. £400 = $680.... :eek: wrong choice at the poll.... :doh:

5. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Well, I purchased a new motherboard and CPU for my linux rig,
    A new heatsink for my main rig and a shiny new laptop which takes up the majority of the total price and 512MB DDR2 for it aswell.
    Don't you just love tax returns?

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Nice one! I keep forgetting to phone them up. They owe me about £850!

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

90$ - IDE HDD 80GB
    75$ - DVD RAM
    55$ - USB STICK's
    50$ - Sundry Expenses.....which i cnt remember bt myt have done....

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

2 segate HDD (80Gb, 160Gb)
    512Mb DDR 333

thinking about uping my mobo & CPU (only got an Intel 1700 Celly) and if funds allow a new Grfx crd[ot]not that i could afford the HDD's & RAM[/ot]

Edit: presents from my family
    a 1Gb USB pen
    a seagate HDD (320Gb)
    a cpouple of old PC's (that are no good for XP, they wondered why i wanted them, then they called me a:swear:ing tw4t when they found out how good Kubuntu ran on them)

9. Addis

Addis The King

I'm sure I've spent something on my computer, but can't think what. I chose the 15-150 option.

10. Rik1938

Rik1938 Geek Trainee

Well where do I start, this is the biggest computer year ever.

1 Acer 19" widescreen LCD
    1 AOC 19" widescreen LCD
    1 3800 x2 AMD (AM2)
    1 3200+ AMD (AM2)
    2 Asus Mobo
    Giga-byte 7600GT
    LG DVD-Ram w/Lightscibe
    2GB Kingston Ram (4x 512)
    2 250gb WD Harddrives

I had to upgrade my machine, then my girlfriend didn't want to use my old computer, so I had to get her a new one. This blew my budget for the next 10 years.(Ahhhh!)

11. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

This year i got the following:

AMD 3700+
    GA-K8NSC Mobo
    Acer 19" Widescreen LCD
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    2gb Memory stick
    SB X-FI Fatal1ty, so probs about $500 actually lol, and i choose the 50-150 $ option lol.
    Logiteech Z5500 speakers were about $400 when i bouoght them, so about $900? but cant really count that has PC hardware.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

have Maxtor drives improved yet ?[ot]with the Seagate takeover[/ot]

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I wouldn't know. These are drives from a few years back, which were all pretty much replaced once. Seagate has come out and upped the Maxtor warranty to 5 years like their own brand, so I would think that some QC would accompany that.

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

about bl**dy time, their probably ok now then, cos a 5 year warrenty was keeping me on Seagate (haveing said that, i think i've got a dead Seagate drive, not recognised by BIOS (as slave and C/S slave) just need to try it as Master (and C/S Master))

15. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I can't really remember exactly but I know I at least got a replacement mobo, hard drive, XP Home (not really hardware but still computer stuff), psu, and I think I had to replace ram, and RMA my video card. So yeah basically I just replaced what died. No actual upgrades, pretty depressing really.

16. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah i bought two crazy pc's, i dunno prolly just over 2k. i don't know whats wrong with me

17. Fred

Fred Moderator

Well, I put down the $1000 - $2000 option... It wouldn't have been nearly as high except I bought a laptop. I'm not sure if that's what was meant by "How much was spent on hardware" but I figured it's close enough. Other than that, I managed to kill my agp 6800gt about 6 months back. So when I went to replace it, I realized that I should get pci-e... which cost my another couple hundred dollars to buy the motherboard, plus the cost of the 7900gt. But that's the only real cost I had for genuine "pieces" of hardware. But this coming year, I think sometime this next year I'm going to be building a new computer.
    [ot] [rant] This doesn't matter to any of you, but I think with my old computer, I'm going to be running Vista RC1 labs (unless I can manage to get a real copy for free legally)... kinda makes me depressed to think about wasting my hardware on that piece of :swear: ! I'm completely serious too... cause they had a system at work running vista for us to try out the other day and I was checking it out. Yeah, it looks nice for Windows.. yeah, it looks improved. But the problem is that it just looks almost exactly like Windows XP.. In fact, I think it is slightly more confusing in design.. I KNOW people are going to like it and think it is fantastic because of the semi-seethrough window headers (WHICH HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE IN LINUX FOR YEARS!!!) Other than that "feature" there are what is best described as Windows attempt at Mac's widgets.. I know there are other design implementations that I am not seeing when I just look at it and open My Documents, but still.. I'm giving my first impression. What pisses me off even more is the fact that both of the newest eyecandys have been done before and both were done much better. I dont know... this ended out being a lot longer than i intended and it turns out that I am a lot more pissed off by Windows Vista than I thought I was. My first thought was "Wow, this is pretty for Windows XP" And I think how poorly they've copied OS' that they've been insulting really drives me up the wall. And to think that they're marketing it as something revolutionary gets me going even more. Alright, I'm going to stop cause im in class and starting to mash the keyboard a bit and making angry faces.. Man.. I need an anger managment class or something when it comes to Windows [/rant] [/ot]

18. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

This year I've bought...

ASRock K7VT4A PRO mobo (So I could use 5200FX, old mobo was having none of it)
    ASUS Geforce 5200FX
    ECS Elitegroup NF4 HT2000 mobo (The jump to PCI-E after Ebuyer sent me a PCI-E version of the X800GTO rather than the AGP version I asked for)
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (For new mobo)
    Sapphire X800GTO 256mb
    3gb total of PC3200 DDR400 PNY brand RAM
    PNY Geforce 7900GTX 512mb (Oblivion just wasn't that nice on an X800GTO even with all 16 pipelines unlocked)
    DFI Infinity NF4 mobo (Wanted to try my hand at overclocking)
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0ghz OCed to 2.4ghz on stock cooling and stock voltage settings
    Phonic MU1202 mixing desk
    Edirol MA-7A monitor speakers
    M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 (Trusty thing)
    80gb Maxtor 7200rpm HDD

If only I learned to save sooner and bought all the good stuff at once instead of slowly upgrading...

Mike

19. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

Another $650 worth of stuff purchased the other day and should be arriving today...

Corsair TWINX 2GB DDR400 PC3200 low latency ram with timings of 2-3-3-6 and a silver heatspreader

Hiper Type-R 580w PSU

Seagate 250gb IDE HDD 7200rpm 16mb cache

Saitek blue illuminated gamers keyboard

Logitech gamers mouse

Can't wait...

20. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, we are on the verge of ordering some more stuff (wireless lan, wireless adapters and a hdd) but I dont think it will arrive this year so.....!!