Intel 82440BX/ZX motherboard drivers for Windows XP 32-bit

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by Neven Lovrić, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Neven Lovrić

Neven Lovrić Geek Trainee

Where can I get drivers for the Intel 82440BX/ZX motherboard for Windows XP 32-bit? I've tried searching, to no avail.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

This is a OLD board, 370 socket... What are your specks ? Processor speed and ram ? Is it a Gateway PC ?

3. Neven Lovrić

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yea ! first of all How much ram is this Pc going to have ??? If it only has 128 mb, then Xp will not run on this machine very good... Even @256 ram it is going to run Super slow.. Your processor is only @650 mhz... You might want to install something else, like a lite weight Linux..

5. Neven Lovrić

256 MiB. It's all in the specs, the link to which I posted previously. It might be upgraded to 512 MiB, but the additional module has to be a 256-MiB PC100 module. It has to be Windows XP, because it's not for me.

Its' speed is not the main problem: Windows keep freezing every few seconds for 1 - 3 seconds at a time, even though there is almost no disk activity (i.e. almost no swapping / paging). With Knoppix Live, there are no such problems. I have concluded that it might be something with the motherboard, which might be fixed with more recent drivers; however, the same guy brough me another laptop a few months ago with the same problem, and the laptop his niece bought from a common acquaintace developped the same problem after being at their house for a few months; so, now, I think that the elecricity at their house might somehow be damaging the laptops.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If it is possible to upgrade to 512mb, then do so.. That would be XP minimal amount of ram..What you need is a Version is an XP lite , for older PC's..If you look on the net, You can find some..Also try running the laptop without the battery to see if that makes ANY difference..Those batteries go bad and mess things up. Also How big is the hard drive ?

7. Neven Lovrić

Well, I had a PIII @ 733 MHz with 256 MiB RAM for years and it never froze; but, that was without Service Pack 3. It has a 20 GB hard drive. I just checked Task Manager and the CPU load is never 100%; yet, it keeps freezing constantly. The battery is completely dead; I have now removed it, but Windows still keep freezing.

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

When was the last time it was cleaned and Defrag ? How much of the hard drive is used ? Also check under event viewer for errors under system and Applications..

9. Neven Lovrić

Fragmentation doesn't matter if there's almost no disk activity. There's nothing in the Application Event Log; but, there's everything in the System Event Log (1,000-something such events):

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would update your Bio's and also run scan/disk..

11. Neven Lovrić

Updated the BIOS, to no avail. However, after turning off SpeedStep in BIOS, everything works fine.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not to be a total smart-ass, but have you looked at Intel's website? The drivers might be listed for Windows 2000 as the chipset is over 10-years old, but that might do the job since it uses the NT code like XP.

13. Neven Lovrić

There are no Windows 2000 motherboard drivers on the HP site, and the search on Intels' site yields nothing useful.