Life Expectancy for a CRT Monitor?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by megamaced, May 29, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Hi guys.

Not sure if my Samsung SyncMaster 753s 17" Monitor is about to let go or not.

There is a very visable flicker in the top left hand corner of the screen. No where else, just in the corner. It only happens sometimes, usually when the monitor has been switched on for long periods of time.

The colour goes bad when I switch it off and turn it on again (I usually leave it on standby), I have to use the degauss function to correct it.

I've had this monitor about 1 1/2 years but I bought it second hand. How long do CRTs usually last and do you think mine has one foot in the grave?

2. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

I have a samsung SyncMaster 700ift and have had it for about 6-7 years. I experience the screen going blurry for periods of time, but I think this oculd be related to my graphics card because when i change the refresh rate it fixes it temporarily. I have heard people say that 5 years is good for a monitor, but I could be wrong

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Yeah, anywhere between 5 and 10 years is good.
    My old CRT's are 5 and 9 years old and they're still kickin'.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I agree ,Most CRT monitors last just about 5 to 10 years.. Most everyone today
    want a flat screen.. I have an old Compaq that is about 9 years old, and it is still working like new.

5. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Yeah..my CRT monitor is going too. It's a Daytek moniter, nice and big, but getting old (we've had it for about 10 or 12 years). The color turns strange sometimes and it likes to flicker at random intervals. The way that I fix these problems isn't degauss (which doesn't do shit for me), but if I jiggle the chord or lightly (umm..) hit the side of the monitor. Hopefully it doesn't go on me for a while...I really like it. If it does go, hopefully I can get a nice, big yet cheap LCD one...we'll see.