Loss of HDD space.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by DavidNW, Feb 1, 2008.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

My second HDD (40GB) has dropped to 31.4 GB with no data on it. I know that some space is taken up with formatting and the way HDD manufacturers calculate HDD capacites, but it's still a big drop! No big deal, as I have plenty of other HDD space on my system. Just curious as to how the foregoing has happened.

Thanks,

David.

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

NTFS or FAT? google for some of this special wipe software which will clean your HDD completely.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

true, but, it does seem a bit excessive to lose 9.6Gb from a 40Gb HDD, personally, i would blank the HDD by looking for some software that "claims" it does a LLF (Low Level Format) although, all the software will do is: fill the HDD with zeros

LLF is actually no longer possible (except by the manufacturer) but the term is still used because it sounds good

as to the amount of data you should expect to lose from a 40Gb HDD (by formatting it) basically i don't know, & my maths is no good, but, from a 160Gb HDD you lose about 10 or 11 Gb

Edit: there are 2 levels of formatting
    • Low Level - it has not being possible to LLF a HDD at home since about the mid 90s
    • High Level - this is the formatting done to provide free space for the OS