Metal?

Discussion in 'Concert Hall' started by WWR, Jul 14, 2005.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Ok, probably a stupid question but how many of you listen to metal? This does NOT include Nu-metal (Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit etc), I'm talking awesome guitars and rough lyrics, the real stuff.

One of my faves is Scandinavian Metal, they REALLY know how to do metal music, especially the Finnish. With that said, here are some of the metal bands I listen to:

Slipknot
    Children of Bodom
    Nightwish
    Atreyu
    Demons & Wizards
    Candlemass

2. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

See my sig then add Slipknot, Deftones, System of a Down, Korn and a few others!

3. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

slipknot is considered nu metal also korn is nu metal

I listen to alot of metal but generally nu
    System of a down
    korn
    slipknot
    killswitch (i dont know if you consider metal is some metalcore something)
    godsmack (not sure also i believe this is nu-metal also)
    Mudvayne (not sure also i believe is hard rock)
    Disturbed (also think is just hard rock) :p

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

hm...

RAGE!

not so much metal like slipknot, but..ahh...love rage.

Yeh.

Pantera..gotta love pantera?

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Nah i like nu metal and rock mostly

6. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

im into metal

lamb of god
    atreyu
    meshuggah
    killswitch
    hatebreed
    slayer
    shadows fall
    as i lay dying
    nile
    ill nino
    ect ect

7. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Both wrong. Nu-metal in it's real form is the mix of styles "Rap" and "Rock" which is, in essence, rap-style lyrics with a rap spin to the music but the music itself is more in the rock genre with more emphasis on guitars than mixers/DJs. Korn does not use a mixer and while Slipknot does (as well as a DJ), they are far surpassing Nu-metal in all forms, they are much too aggressive to be classed as Nu-Metal.

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Amon Amarth
    Blind Guardian
    Celtic Frost
    Children Of Bodom
    Cradle Of Filth
    Dimmu Borgir
    DragonForce
    Dying Fetus
    Ensiferum
    Finntroll
    Frou Frou
    Gwar
    Hatebreed
    Iced Earth
    In Flames
    Lamb Of God
    Megadeath
    Meshuggah
    Napalm Death
    Opeth
    Quo Vadis
    Skinny Puppy
    Sonata Arctica
    Symphony X
    Wintersun

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

FAVOURITE BAND = Black Label Society
    Other Good Metal/Rock Bands/Atrists: Motorhead, Pantera, Ozzy (legend), Rob Zombie.
    Also Any Body Like Prog Rock? Dreat Theater, etc?

10. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

korn is the one that started the nu-metal they were revolutionary because they use 7 strings guitar drop d tuned pretty much most of the bands that use drop d are nu-metal bands and besides everytime I go to ultimate-guitar.com to check guitar lessons I see slipknot and korn considered nu-metal

Metalcore or hardcore metal are usually in drop C or B

this is the def i got from wikipedia

Nu metal (or aggro metal) is a controversial subgenre of heavy metal music. It sometimes bears some influence from hip-hop, because rhythmic innovation and syncopation are primary. Nu metal bands also feature aggressive vocals (either rapped, shouted, or sung), drop-tuned guitars that are clean or distorted, (with riffing similiar to the Seattle scene of the early 1990's) a funk-based rhythm section, and occassional DJ techniques such as turntables and sampling. Generally speaking, the emphasis is on either communicating feelings of angst and hostility, or motivating a crowd to move with the beat -- ideally, both at once.

pretty much that is slipknot and korn shouting and dj thing applies to slipknot

11. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

You know your stuff :)

Yeh ninja - finntroll! awesome music, love the light hearted tunes followed by the roar of the singer and a damn heavy riff

12. ninja fetus

If you're into progressive, symphony X is a good band to check out

yeah finntroll is funny stuff
    I have a lot of other bands I listen to but no one can make me go back to thinking and typing :)

13. ThePenguinCometh

I don't care how good your arguement is, there's something plain wrong in putting Slipknot in the same category as Limp Bizkit. Besides, within the metal genre there tends to be a lot more creativity than pop magazines are accustomed to so quite a lot of bands defy the kind of simple classification demanded by such publications. Witness the various different "brands" of metal available: heavy metal, rap metal, trash metal, death metal, shock metal, black metal, doom metal, speed metal, etc, etc, etc.

14. ninja fetus

There is a point when music genre's become the eye of the beholder. Let's take red hot chili peppers for example, people say they are funk. They aren't funk. They can be funky, flea the bass player does get funky and the drummer chad smith is a funk drummer but he doesn't play funk in the songs. The singer and the lyrics aren't funky at all. It's more of a Pop/rock sorta thing.

15. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

yeah you can't classified everything is kind of confusing like limp bizkit can be rapcore or be nu-metal and black metal is usually emotional that also applies to nu metal

like korn is nu-metal or black metal
    limp bizkit can be rapcore or nu-metal

16. ThePenguinCometh

Absolutely!

Korn is black metal?? Are you kidding??

Norwegian homicidal psychopaths who run around burying axes into the heads of their girlfriends and then run onto a stage to sing all about how they did it probably with the blood still dripping from their clothes while the drummer loses the plot and plays his drums with baseball bats is black metal. Korn is just a bunch of spotty teenagers who are just beginning to notice that girls chests kind of bulge a bit by comparison.

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

(cracking up)

thats awesome, you just completly told them off haha

18. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, I listen to metal. But I also listen to ALL other kinds of rock. You name a genre and there is a song from it on my playlist. But my favorite 2 metal bands are Dimmu Borgir and Darkin Fluid. I listen to a lot of new metal bands, but they aren't in the nu metal genre.

19. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I love my death metal, there's just something about screaming lyrics that are near incomprehensable to an amazing guitar soundtrack.

That being said, I still haven't seen a guitarist who can out-do Alexi Laiho.