Motherboard (+ cpu) decision

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by harakim, Dec 28, 2005.

1. harakim

harakim Big Geek

I have a socket 478 computer that doesn't work. I'm pretty sure its the motherboard, but it could be the cpu.

I'm considering two options:
    1) Buy a new 478 motherboard for 40 or 50 dollars and hope that was the problem.

2) Buy a new motherboard which will allow me to upgrade later and pay a ton more for a cpu (even if its slow it will cost more)

Right now I have a 1.800mhz pentium 4.
    If I get a new socket 478 motherboard, I could upgrade to a 3,2 ghz ht processor(?), but then I will definitely have to upgrade again someday or just buy a new computer.

If I get a new motherboard and cpu I will pay through the teeth, and since AMD is coming out with A2 sockets and Intel doesn't seem to be doing much, it may not be very upgradable anyway.

I'm going to use this as a Linux server, but I was thinking that I might as well use it as a gaming computer also (seperate hard drives). If I use it for a Linux server, 1.800mhz will be enough right? But if I use it for a gaming computer, should I get a new motherboard or just go out and upgrade?

2. Addis

Addis The King

It will be fine for Linux, 1.8GHz is meaty enough.

As for gaming it really depends on what type of games and how much you're into them. It won't do good for HL2, D3, BF2 games and such, and if you want to be playing them games you'd better off upgrading to a much better system.

Before you buy a mobo, check that its not your PSU thats causing problems. I've replaced my mobo twice because of that.

3. harakim

harakim Big Geek

Thanks, I'll do that first. Somewhere in the back of my mind I know I was thinking about that.

4. harakim

harakim Big Geek

I finally got it to boot. It loads the screen and says some strange stuff.

Main Processor: Intel Pentium(R) 4 1.80GHZ(100x18.0)
    ...memory is ok
    CPU Brand Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHZ

...hard drive stuff

CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck CPU SOFT MENU

At the very very bottom it says:
    12/25/2003-PT800-8237-6A6LXA19C-16
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    That's a bit odd, I don't think ive seen the 100x18.0 either.
    Could it be the battery on my MB is dead and if so, should I replace it? Either way I'm pretty sure my old power supply was too weak!!! Good thing I didn't go out and buy new stuff.