Movie reviews

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by mat89, May 3, 2007.

1. mat89

mat89 Geek Trainee

As the title says, what was the last movie you saw and how would you rate it? You don't need to add much input if you don't want to, but I tend to add a little feedback. *THIS IS NOT LEEWAY FOR SPOILERS* So please, kindly do not ruin movies.

The last movie I saw was "Pan's Labyrinth" which I give a 9/10. It was brilliantly filmed, with some beautiful scenery. Trouble was, personally it seemed more like a war movie with fantasy elements than an all out fantasy.

2. zeus

zeus out of date

I think the last film I saw was Blood Diamond.
    Im dead critical when I watch films.... in fact most films are shite! but blood diamond was ok imo.

Its about a bunch of people who were all looking for a bloody big pink diamond which has been hidden by an enslaved villager!

I hate leonardo dicaprio but in this he was ok. Hes pretending to be some scarred ex mercenary Rhodesian who is lurking in Sierra Leone when rebels take control of large areas. They are basically enslaving the male population and making them search for diamonds. Its these "blodd diamonds" which dicaprio sells to a neighboring country... I think it was liberia.

Its one of the slaves that finds a pink diamond worth a few bob and decides to stash it whilst taking a leak (this was a bit of a shortfall in the story for me.... no diamond hunting slave would be allowed to go to the toilet! especially if he was stood in the river. He'd be told to pollute the water course imo!)
    At that moment the search for diamonds is rudely interrupted and the slaves and rebels are dispersed. Hence a stashed diamond and a refugee with a treasure map in his head.

A long story short... and it is long! the paths of dicaprio and the guy who found the diamond cross and dicaprio convinces him to take dicaprio to place he hid it with the advent of selling to his liberian connections. The story goes that the liberians claim they find the diamonds and run them through the liberian books. This "cleans/launders" the diamonds so that they can be sold to the rich arseholes in london.
    The diamond ends up in london but I wont say more.

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Bastard! sorry to swear but I have just written about The Last King of Scotland and then lost it all. One swear word is 999,999 not enough! I even missed the end of an ebay auction typing that. It sold for £5 and I was willing to go up to £25! So much for last minute bidding.

The Last King of Scotland is bloody brill, mainly because of how well Forrest Whittaker plays Idi Amin. How true this representation was to the real guy is irrelevant to me cos I loved the character Forrest Whittaker created.

Ive only ever bought 2 dvds. 2001 A Space Odessy, A Clockwork Orange and this will be my third.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Last movie I watched was 'Wild Hogs'. It was a funny film but nothing amazing.
    I like Tim Allan and I think he is a good comedian, Travolta was OK, Liota only really made me laugh at the end of the movie while the credits were going, Martin Lawrence was rubbish (I do not like him much anyway....) but what really made me cringe was William H. Macy. I love the guy for the Coen films he was in. So for me he was a real let down. The movie basically chews on the question:
    Freedom or security? Or maybe there is a middle way? And where did my :swear: youth gone? I am happy I have watched it but I would not bother again unless it was on TV.

The last decent one for me was 'The Departed'. All I would say is that Marti deserved the Oscar for this one. Brilliant!

BTW - I might be seeing Spiderman 3 tomorrow. Will let you guys (and gals) know...

5. zeus

zeus out of date

Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

All I can say is wait till its on dvd and get a notepad ready because film confused the hell out of me. I didnt know what was happening at any point in the film.
    Genuinely this is what I remember. A kid got hanged whilst singing a song, Jack Sparrow was rescued from an island, they went somewhere in a boat then 2.5hrs they had a fight whilst falling into a whirlpool, all in "good business". Then the boat got stolen so Sparrow and a mate went off with some prostitutes. The popcorn was quite nice, though not a sweet as id hoped and the regular Fanta was 1 litre! Far too much for my bladder.

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Hot Fuzz

This film is deadly!! Its a comedy but it isnt that funny. Hard to explain really but its brilliant.

Its about a police officer called Nick Angel from the met who is so good at his job he makes the rest of the police look bad so he is transferred to a sleepy engish village called Sandford.

He finds the existing police service there a bit lame who turn a blind eye to blatant crime and so is sourly unimpressed by them. Its only when a few accidental deaths seem a bit too far fetched and coincidental he discovers that Sandford isnt all that sleepy. He has his suspect and being the best officer at the met goes in for the arrest. He gets the job done and rids Sandford of crime.

This film is in many ways taking the piss out of the unrealistic events that occur in American films :) Like I said, its not that funny in that you dont laugh much. Its like a serious crime adventure from hollywood but with the quaintness of pink pullovers and English tea and scones. Its the pathetic middle class English additive that is supposed to make it a comedy.
    You find that its the contrast of the crime and law enforcement and the village quaintness and characters that creates the comedy.

It has church fetes, a friendly neighbourhood watch, the corner shop and a pub, 70 year old police officers, a theatre club, and a local paper. Sadistic cults, big guys mike tyson would struggle with, huge weapons caches, car chases, creepy murderers who run like the wind, cheesey one liners, kamikaze baddies, gun fights, lots and lots of dead people, gruesome deaths, very graphic scenesand rocky balboa punch ups.

Its one of the most graphic films ive seen. It had me with goose bumps a few times!

Well worth watching. I was expecting a comedy cops and robbers film set in a village. A bit like Pink Panther or something like that. But it isnt the case.

Its 2hrs long and after 1.5hrs I was ready for it to end. I looked at my watch and was gutted I had another 25mins still to go but that last 25mins was English pisstake comedy (no where near as bad as Little Britain, though that takes some beating :) ) They should have saved the gruesome parts for the end and not midway through the film. It would have made the pisstake part of the film better imo. The baddies always get it grim at the end in American films but I dont think any of the baddies actually die in this. They go to jail.... but Angel is perfect police officer so....