My computer shut down

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by namy159, Jun 18, 2007.

1. namy159

namy159 Geek Trainee

my computer shut down as i try to install any software or even when i try to attach memory stick. i dont understand what to do.

2. RobertB

RobertB Geek Trainee

Is this a machine you built or bought at the store?

Installed any new hardware or software recently?

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you hit the insides with a can of compressed air?

3. namy159

namy159 Geek Trainee

it wasnt assembled by me, it was assembled by someone not a professional it is just 2 years old with brand new parts.

i have already tried your method but i think i have to deassemble all the parts. do you have any suggestion. as i really cant guess where could the problem is?

4. RobertB

RobertB Geek Trainee

No, you don't need to disassemble it. Just open up the case and spray everything down. Make sure you're in a ventilated area or you'll be coughing up dust bunnies for a week.:doh:

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What do you mean Shut Down ?Will it boot/start up ?I think we need a little more info here......

6. namy159

namy159 Geek Trainee

Yeah i think you are right that statment is incomplete,
    well actuslly when i try to install some application or even try to attach m flash memory stick, the system do some processing like it do with all system when we atach memory stick or install some software but suddenly the black screen apears and i cant hear any sound in the system like all the system do while processng, but i can see the power light is still on. for that reason i changed the HDD and tried to install new winXP. but it was same again. earlier it was having 3 HDD. 2 were SATA and 1 was IDD. so at the moment i cant feagure out where the problem is? may be it sound interesting problrm to you the way it was to me? :confused:

7. namy159

namy159 Geek Trainee

i also thought to take the belark advisor report of computer but cant do it as i cant install any software. so i really cant tell exact configuration of the system . but yeah it is preety new and has all brand new parts in it. and the person who had assembled it has passed away long time back so i dont have any paper backup about the computer configuration.

8. allendehl

allendehl Geek Trainee

What do you mean with "tried to install" a new XP? Did you tried to install it in a completely different HD?
    If so..that should be a memory issue. If you have more than one memory DIMM in your system try to repeat the process with only one at a time. Yo may also try different memory slot too.

Do you know how to do this?

9. namy159

namy159 Geek Trainee

yes i had installed new winXP on new HDD. but thanks i will try ur suggestion and let see what happens.

10. allendehl

allendehl Geek Trainee

Just for make it clearer....the "process" I mean is installing the flash drive or whatever other action that shuts windows down....NOT installing XP ;)

11. namy159

namy159 Geek Trainee

no it happens even wth any small software that i try to install. and its not the RAM problem i have already tried it. i am guessing that it might be with any hardware problem where ever there is memory being used even any pci card, or processor...... at the moment really difficult to guess untill i start pulling oout all hardware. i guess Hit and trial method.:mad:

12. allendehl

allendehl Geek Trainee

yeap...I guess you dont have much more choices.