My PC wont start???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Euro98ITR, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

When I press the power button the HDD led and the power led light up. But the fans wont start. Nothing is displayed on the screen. No beeps either. I tried this to switch on and off for several times but invain. Is my PSU dead?

Configuration.
    Intel P4 1.7GHz
    250Watt Power Supply
    Gigabyte motherboard
    512mb SDRAM 133
    GeForce Mx200 64Mb
    Lg CD-Rom Drive.
    Pioneer DvD Rom Drive.
    Sony Cd Writer.
    Win XP Pro.

2. zeus

zeus out of date

Have you got a different lead you can try ? ;)

3. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

I tried a different lead!

4. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

Can the motherboard be faulty?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you could have a crappy PSU or one that's just not powerful enough for the system, which is something I suspect, especially if it's some no name unit. Personally, I use Sparkle and Antec, but you want a PSU that's not light. The heavier the better, since there's more components in the unit to ensure a steady power flow. It's definitely worth the investment. The rest of the stuff looks good. A dead board is always possible, but deal with one component at a time....also, it's a real good idea to get a PSU with the 4-pin 12V auxillary power connector. These were originally designed as part of the ATX 2.03 specifications and geared toward the P4.

6. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

Thanks for your info! I found out that this problem was caused by the ram! I removed them and reinstalled them and the pc booted up normally! But after some time on the pc was frozen in windows XP, couldnt even shut down. Then I swithed it off from the power switch on the power supply. When I tried to switch it on again the same thing happened. The pc didnt boot!

Can the ram be faulty?

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yes it could be the RAM but I'm also thinking it might be the psu.
    What I suggest is stripping down the system to its bare minimum: video, hdd, one fan.
    If it boots normally, then you can start adding one device(whether it's a card or a drive) at a time. If you start having problems, then it means you've just exceeded your psu's capabilities.

If you have problems even when you only have the bare minimum installed, then it might be the RAM. Try using only one stick and using all three slots to see if it makes a difference.

When the RAM is faulty weird things can happen (instant reboots, corrupted screen, etc.).

But do not rule out the psu as it might be dead plain and simple. In that case, try a different one or try it in a different system to see what the results are.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Exactly. With dead RAM, it just doesn't show up, and with bad RAM, you'll get errors and crashes. From what you're telling us, you have at least 2 sticks, so try taking out the other one and leave the possibly bad one in and see what happens.

9. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

I removed both sticks, cleaned the slots with a contact cleaner and reinstalled the ram. The Pc has been on and working for almost three days. Thanks guys