Netgear prosafe wireless range

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Ferg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Hey guys, Just been to a new clients house where he wants wireless coverage over the whole ground floor, the problem is it is a massive (at least 7 rooms per floor) 17th or 18th century manor house with walls as thick as the length of my arm.

My idea is to either:
    1. Put a powerful AP in the basement and hope that the render on the ceiling is just covering a wooden floor & allows coverage or
    2. Use a cheapo wireless router in the basement & use power line repeaters spread out throughout the house (although i have had bad experiences with them in the past)

At the moment I'm leaning toward option one and using a netgear prosafe AP (Netgear WG102 ProSafe Wireless Access Point 802.11g - Ebuyer) Does anyone have any working experience as to the range/power of one of these as I've never installed one personally. Or have a different method (that doesn't involve me routing CATv throughout the house :D)

TIA!

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you could replace the antenna with a more powerful one or you could piggyback multiple routers (i think you can only piggyback 7 routers, but you still would need a single CAT5 running between the next & last routers) or maybe a combination of both or a wireless extender like this

BTW: there's a few ideas to keep you busy

Edit: or if you want to cover all your bases you could use a combination of all 3

Edit: or if you really want to impress the client get one of these beauties but you'll need an antenna cable

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

An antenna that has a 10 mile range would be a big no no in a house with kids I would think, yeah yeah all the studies say that these radio waves do nothing to us but seriously, would you let your kids play in the same room as an antenna pushing out a 10 mile WIFI network!

Thanks for the input tho donkeyboy, I think I'm gonna get the prosafe and see what it's range is like, then add repeaters as/if necessary.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well i don't know if they do any harm, as you expected me to say, but, i can't disagree & as i don't have any kids i can only imagine what its like, so, to air on the side of caution, go your own way but remember stuff like that exists, and if you want to seriously impress somebody remember it

Edit: at the end of the day, it's your decision, we can only advise & give you options

Edit: [ot]a 10 mile WIIFI network does seem a bit unrealistic, but, it does exist, crazy[/ot]