network help pwease

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by donkey42, Mar 25, 2006.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

this is the second time i've posted this problem, the last time it was thought that i wanted to set up a VoIP connection, this is true but (i was given a couple of urls, but they only refer to VoIP) to set one up i need a home network, i have a Zyxel Prestige P2002, a Hayes ethernet router and a switch - my question is: is it possible to create a virtual ethernet connection with two network cards in the same computer and then proceed to setup a VoIP connection

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I don't understand your question. Perhaps it would be clearer if I understood what you were trying to accomplish?

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hi, and thank you for responding, i am trying to create a VoIP connection but i don't know if i have the correct equipment, or how to setup the equipment i have, hope that clears up exactly what i was asking, again thank you

4. Anti-Trend

If you're planning on using your PC as a SIP phone, all you need is some SIP software and a VOIP provider. You don't need a second adapter.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

oh right, which software do you think i should use, btw thank you

6. Anti-Trend

I don't run Windows, so it's hard for me to recommend a specific application for you. Have you tried searching Google?

7. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

over a LAN or the internet?

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i don't know what you mean sabashuali, i've got a hayes ethernet router 15805 (with only one ethernet port and one cat5 connection) and a Zyxel Prestige P2002 (also with only one ethernet port and one cat5 connection) that why i got an ethernet switch, and a network card connected to each device

9. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Sorry, I am not sure I can help but I am just trying to understand what the problem is. Are you trying to implement VoIP over a local network, i.e. a few computers which you have grouped yourself into your own little network or are you just looking for a software which will allow you to use VoIP with other users over the internet ?

Found this site - http://www.voip.org.uk maybe you can find more info there?

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the problem is i need to setup a vitual network then setup a VoIP connection but i don't know that much about networking (except a bit of peer to peer years ago) so i need help setting up my network

11. Anti-Trend

Do you already have a VOIP provider? If not, you need to get one before you can actually call out. IP to phone connections are not free, so you will have to arrange for service through a VOIP provider first.

If you do already have a VOIP provider, please find out what they require in terms of equipment and setup and let us know if you are confused about any of it. From there we can help you, but until we have more information about your needs; we don't have nearly enough to go on right now to help you effectively.

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes, i have signed up with www.sipgate.co.uk do you think i'd be better with a different VoIP provider, i think i do know the setings to make within my router and telephone adaptor, but i could be wrong (Hayes 15805 and Zyxel Prestige 2002 please look at the devices i have specified and tell me if you think they are compatable with each other, thank you

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

subnet: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: p2002

dns
    primary: 194.168.4.100
    secondary: 194.168.8.100

PPPoE client: [email protected]
    password: known

Voive Account Info

SIP number: 78778098
    SIP local port: 5060
    SIP server address: sipgate.co.uk
    SIP server port: 5060
    REGISTER server address: sipgate.co.uk
    REGISTER server port: 5060
    SIP service domain: sipgate.co.uk
    Authetication user id: 78778098
    password: known

these are the settings i think i need, please advise.

14. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

I've used Sipgate.co.uk before (Free 0870/45 number right?) and set it up without a hassle - they have an online tutorial/guide just for your own account with all the correct details. If you have any problems with allowing opening/closing ports then look at www.portforward.com for the sipgate program and the network setup you use (router?) - you might find a guide on there.

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thanx, i'll check it out