Networking dummie here

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Darcadian V1, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Darcadian V1

Darcadian V1 Big Geek

Ive got two computers I want to network for gaming :D
    Only trouble is ive never really networked two computers together before and would like to know how to do it.
    On my Latest computer I have a Onboard 10/100M LAN Controller,
    but the older comp does not. I take it that i would have to install a network card on that machine to make networking possible. Also how would i go about setting up the network, both machines are running WinXP SP2.
    (oh and by the was I am fu:swear:g ANTI-WIRELESS) :mad:

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Well first off both machines require a network card, then you have to options.

You can either setup a direct connection between the computers IE: one cable from one machine straight to the other connected by a network cable, however to do this you would need a network cable called an uplink cable..

However, your best option is to purchase a network "hub" or "switch", however a simple network hub will do you fine, you know will need one network cable for each computer.

You then connect the power to your hub, take the network cable that is connected to each computers network card and connect the other end of each network cable into the hub.

You will then need to goto one of the computers, and set the network "connection" in windows so that it is assigned an "IP" automatically, this will allow both machines to communicate in the same network.

To do this in windows xp, you goto My Network Places, on your left menu under "Network Tasks", there is a link called "View Network Connections", You should now see your connection called: "Local Area Connection", right click this, select properties, you will now see a list with tick boxes, highlight the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" then click the "properties" button.

Now make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected, and make sure "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" is selected, now click "OK". then your done.

Or on both machines you can run this:

Goto your other machine, go back to: "Network Connections", on your left menu select: "Setup a home or small office network"

3. Darcadian V1

Darcadian V1 Big Geek

I cant see why i would need two network cards when one has it onboard? :eek:
    Whats the benefit of a network hub? :confused:

Also would a gigabit lan really give any benefit for gaming? I looked at the transfer rates for gigabit and 10/100 and i cant see the point of networking at that kind of speed.

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

You misinterpreted me, i merely meant one network card will be required by each machine.. so for those that do not have one, you need to get one :good:

On the subject of the Network hub, it also means that if you get any other computers or laptops you can add them straight onto the network by pluggin them into the network hub via network cable.

You can buy different hubs size wise, 5 / 8 / 15 / 24 and 48 port hubs, now i would definately say you should go for a 5 port hub as a 5 port means you can connect 5 computers together on a network.

There are things called switches which are alot more intelligent that a standard hub, however you will not need one of these.

5. Darcadian V1

Darcadian V1 Big Geek

Nice one ProcalX thanx :good:

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Giga Lan would be great if both computers have it. This would definitely be the way to go, but if you don'T have it, don't bother.

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

BTW, don't buy a hub! A switch is basically the same thing, only much, much better.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Anti-Trend, do you not think that a hub would be more realistic for his needs considering the price difference between a 5 port hub and a 5 port switch?

I presume you are in the US, if not sorry, but in the UK you can get a hub for around £10-£15, and a switch will cost you between £25-£40, atleast double the price for something he will not fully use.

9. Darcadian V1

Darcadian V1 Big Geek

I take it "UTP Cat 5e" cable would link to a hub but not direct to another computer then?, because im sure Ive got some cat 5e lying around somewhere. :rolleyes:

10. Anti-Trend

No, I do not think a hub is worth spending money on. If all you need is to connect two PCs, you're just as well off with a simple crossover cable than a hub. If you are connecting multiple PCs, a switch and hub are incomparible. Besides, where I am a switch and hub are within $2 of eachother, so...

11. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Yeah, I've actually seen switches cheaper than hubs.

12. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

As i have said over here in the UK, things are alot more expensive, and the difference in price comparison between a hub and a switch is enough to put you off buying one..

Switches are better, i arrived were i work and 70% of the network controllers were hubs not switches, since i have made sure they hav all now been replaced by switches.. however the cost difference is enough on a small network that a switch is not necersary over here in the uk (if running mutiple computers) however if it is just two computers then yes, a cross over cable (i apologise) would be better than your hub.

13. Darcadian V1

Darcadian V1 Big Geek

So UTP cat 5e cable is for connecting to a hub or switch not another computer??????

14. Anti-Trend

Check out our Networking FAQ section under "What is a crossover cable? What are they used for?". It should answer your questions for you. :)