New Build/Clone existing

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Atom, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Atom

Atom Geek

I have a work at home computer which I had custom built a couple of years ago. It consists of
    coolermaster mid tower case
    Gigabyte 945p-s3 motherboard
    NVDIA GeForce 7300 LE Graphics card
    NVDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics card
    intel E6700 2.7 ghz process
    4 gb pc5300 ddr2-667 ram
    2 250gb sata hard drives
    1 DVD ROM drive
    1 CD-RW burner
    Win XP professional OS

The system came with two hard drives; one of which was intended to be maintained as clone of the primary and is normally off.

I'm thinking of building a box myself which would provide equal or better performance than the above, but dispense with the dual monitors and since I don't use the spare hard which is rack mounted with key switch, I would transfer it to the new box. The notion of interchangeable hard drives has some appeal, because then I could easily move one system to the other simply by swapping out hard drives.

However, since some of the other components will not be the same is this a realistic tactic. What is going to happen when I install my existing cloned hd into the new box and boot it up?

2. Atom

Atom Geek

3. Atom

Atom Geek

On further research I've discovered that booting a new computer with an old hard drive with XP installed is NOT recommended. If you want to know more about this, you can go here

Changing a Motherboard or Moving

I wouldn't want anyone to make the mistake I was about to make.:O