oblivion issues

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Swansen, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

when i'm playing the game it freezes up ever minute or couple seconds and i don't know whats going on mabey i need a patch but any ideas, i have tried all different types of video setups even real low settings and nothing changes,
    specs
    amd64 2.2 dual core
    eVGA geforce 7600 gt sli ready
    2gb ram
    viewsonic lcd extreme series
    gigabyte GA-K8N ultra sli
    any ideas would be sweet thanks

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Assuming all your drivers are up to date I'd say, being a fresh game it's just kind of buggy yet. I'm sure a patch will come along real soon.

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol assuming would be wrong yeah i don't have up to date patches, just got the computer going the other day, so i probably need video driver patches, thanks for the support though

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

it's a fairly buggy game

i don't see how elder scrolls can do testing when you can't really do everything in the game in under 300 hours

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

actually i like the small glitches, but bugs are kinda annoying,and i can't get anywhere in the game because it pauses every 20 seconds or so, anyways i'll just have to get the video driver update and se what happens

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Checked your video card temperatures?

7. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

Maybe try to play at lowest possible settings first, to see how that goes? (I know, heresy :p )

8. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

well i updated my video driver,as well as windows drivers, and no changes, still the freezing every couple seconds, and i'm the only one with this problem, most peoples pc's just crash,not repeatedly pasuing. Possibly could have something to do with the dual core cpu, i know they made a patch for doom3, yeah most likely, i'll have to wait for a patch bethesda is probably swamped with comlpaintes,
    ok but anyways after thinking about it there is no reason for this to be happening now so any ideas would be cool i'm dowm for trying anything, also what are your system specs just so i can have an idea of what working pc's are like,

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Just click on our my computer tabs like you have there to check them out. Yours are better than most so well done on your rig. I don't think many of us have Oblivion yet. I was waiting to upgrade so it would run half way decent, though after hearing this the 360 version sounds more realistic.

10. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

From what I read on their forums, the thing is crazily demanding, not performing excellently even on heavy-duty rigs, with also quite a few bugs left in it.

11. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

ok i think i might have to discontinue this thread because i now know that the problem seems to accur in all of the games i play, mostly not cool, anyways it's now most likely a hardware issue. anyways i'm going to start a new thread

12. denic2k6

denic2k6 Geek Trainee

This game needs a very good rig, trust me. It needs a really good CPU, this game is very demanding.

I had to get rid of Oblivion because it wouldnt run good on my rig.

Turn your res down, and take the sliders so that they are NEALLY all the way down.

Denic

13. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

Does anyone know if it's because the visuals really ARE so demanding, or is it just sloppy programming? (or, question reformulated: are there other games which look as good and require much less "power"?)

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The engine could scale back a little better. HL2 for instance works on a wide variety of computers. When it came out you could max it pretty well with the available hardware yet most people with modest system requirements could get things on medium anyway. Oblivion is definately not like this, it will only be next year that a good chuck of gamers can just pick it up and play without having to do extensive tweaking. The visuals are really demanding and it's using technology that really isn't very mature yet.

15. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

Hi Wouter, its seems that your problem is bcoz of your amd64 2.2 dual core, most of the games out there are single threaded. Try to tweak your CPU with this:

Option #1 - The AMD Driver

1. Install the AMD Processor driver found here:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP or other driver depending on your OS.

This driver will add the /usepmtimer line to your boot.ini file. This will both fix problems in some games (HL2) and will raise problems in others (WoW). So depending on what games you are playing, you might have to edit your boot.ini to reflect the game you are playing.

2. Add the /usepmtimer switch to your boot.ini file manually
    Right Click My Computer
    Properties
    Advanced Tab
    Startup and Recovery -> Settings
    To edit the startup options manually, click edit -> Edit

This should bring up a .txt file with your boot.ini file
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0 )partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiti on(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /bootlogo /usepmtimer

Add the /usepmtimer as noted above and it will do what the driver does for you. If it is already there and you still have problems, you might want to take it out and try again, or try one of the other fixes.

Option #2 - The Microsoft Hotfix

NOTE: This Hotfix is only for Windows XP w/SP2 per the documentation at the link below

Install the hotfix file found here.

If you need to disable the hotfix, edit the registry as noted here (specifically note #7 which details how to deactivate/activate the hotfix):
    Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance

Option #3 - Set the Affinity Manually

Finally, the last and least glorious of the fixes is to manually set the CPU affinity of certain programs. This can be done in several ways.
    1. Alt-Tab out of your game, CTRL-ALT-DEL to the Task Manager, Under the Processes tab, right click the .exe file for your game and go to Set Affinity, Uncheck CPU 1.

2. Use a program to launch games
    Win2000/WinXP Launcher to load games. (Available here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Win2000_Launcher_d438.html or http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinLauncherXP_d870.html). This will allow you to set the CPU affinity before loading the game, which is useful for games that don't respond well to Alt-Tabbing.

3. Use an affinity masking tool such as
    ImageCFG (Robpol86.com - ImageCFG.exe for instructions on how to use). Backup your .exe before using this program. Imagecfg has a problem with some directories with spaces in them, so its easiest to stick it in the folder with the *.exe file you want to change. Then use the command you need (knowledge of the DOS prompt is a must ):

imagecfg -a 0x1 game.exe for core 1
    imagecfg -a 0x2 game.exe for core 2

This will alter your .exe file, so make a backup of it. Especially since future game patches might not work with a patched .exe.

RunFirst - Free Tools - RunFirst - Choose on which processor an application
    starts

Affinity Set Command by JakFrost
    http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=431

Alternate Option #4 - Newer video drivers for your graphics card
    If you're using an Nvidia video card. Download one of the Forceware 80 series drivers which are dual core optimized. Latest are available here:
    Driver Page
    Some older drivers may/may not work with some games/benchmarks and dual core processors.

Nvidia Beta drivers have been clearing up some dual core crashing problems and some other games without having to go through the optimizations below.
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_d...tadrive r.html

ATI drivers available here:
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support...dge&folderID=27
    I would assume dual core support to be forthcoming in future Catalyst releases.

Nvidia Dual Core Driver Optimization
    Warning, still testing this, if you have results please post
    If you are experiencing problems with the Nvidia dual core driver optimizations, you can turn them off in the registry by using the following steps (or use the older 77.77 drivers). As always, backup your registry before editing.

One of the above solutions should fix 98% of your gaming problems with dual core CPU's.

Hi Wouter, its seems that your problem is bcoz of your amd64 2.2 dual core, most of the games out there are single threaded. Try to tweak your CPU with this:

Option #1 - The AMD Driver

1. Install the AMD Processor driver found here:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP or other driver depending on your OS.

This driver will add the /usepmtimer line to your boot.ini file. This will both fix problems in some games (HL2) and will raise problems in others (WoW). So depending on what games you are playing, you might have to edit your boot.ini to reflect the game you are playing.

2. Add the /usepmtimer switch to your boot.ini file manually
    Right Click My Computer
    Properties
    Advanced Tab
    Startup and Recovery -> Settings
    To edit the startup options manually, click edit -> Edit

This should bring up a .txt file with your boot.ini file
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0 )partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiti on(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /bootlogo /usepmtimer

Add the /usepmtimer as noted above and it will do what the driver does for you. If it is already there and you still have problems, you might want to take it out and try again, or try one of the other fixes.

Option #2 - The Microsoft Hotfix

NOTE: This Hotfix is only for Windows XP w/SP2 per the documentation at the link below

Install the hotfix file found here.

If you need to disable the hotfix, edit the registry as noted here (specifically note #7 which details how to deactivate/activate the hotfix):
    Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance

Option #3 - Set the Affinity Manually

Finally, the last and least glorious of the fixes is to manually set the CPU affinity of certain programs. This can be done in several ways.
    1. Alt-Tab out of your game, CTRL-ALT-DEL to the Task Manager, Under the Processes tab, right click the .exe file for your game and go to Set Affinity, Uncheck CPU 1.

2. Use a program to launch games
    Win2000/WinXP Launcher to load games. (Available here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Win2000_Launcher_d438.html or http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinLauncherXP_d870.html). This will allow you to set the CPU affinity before loading the game, which is useful for games that don't respond well to Alt-Tabbing.

3. Use an affinity masking tool such as
    ImageCFG (Robpol86.com - ImageCFG.exe for instructions on how to use). Backup your .exe before using this program. Imagecfg has a problem with some directories with spaces in them, so its easiest to stick it in the folder with the *.exe file you want to change. Then use the command you need (knowledge of the DOS prompt is a must ):

imagecfg -a 0x1 game.exe for core 1
    imagecfg -a 0x2 game.exe for core 2

This will alter your .exe file, so make a backup of it. Especially since future game patches might not work with a patched .exe.

RunFirst - Free Tools - RunFirst - Choose on which processor an application
    starts

Affinity Set Command by JakFrost
    http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=431

Alternate Option #4 - Newer video drivers for your graphics card
    If you're using an Nvidia video card. Download one of the Forceware 80 series drivers which are dual core optimized. Latest are available here:
    Driver Page
    Some older drivers may/may not work with some games/benchmarks and dual core processors.

Nvidia Beta drivers have been clearing up some dual core crashing problems and some other games without having to go through the optimizations below.
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_d...tadrive r.html

ATI drivers available here:
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support...dge&folderID=27
    I would assume dual core support to be forthcoming in future Catalyst releases.

Nvidia Dual Core Driver Optimization
    Warning, still testing this, if you have results please post
    If you are experiencing problems with the Nvidia dual core driver optimizations, you can turn them off in the registry by using the following steps (or use the older 77.77 drivers). As always, backup your registry before editing.

One of the above solutions should fix 98% of your gaming problems with dual core CPU's.

16. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

ok thoonie your a little confused but thats ok anyways the issue was that my graphics card was defected and it ok now because it took such a long time to figure out eVGA said they would give me a discount on a card so i bought another one plus i sent my faulty card in and i should have a new one back soon, yeah SLI.
    Oblivion is the way it is, like said above, the technology isn't comletely there and there are a lot of visuals and things going on all at the same time, ie everyone going to work, kinda, looting, kinda, ect. and on that note i'm running oblivion pretty much maxed out minus a few things. It runs smooth except the load times are a bit longer but that may also be because i have a massive amount of mods, in conclusion wooo