PC wont start??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by quintisv, Mar 1, 2006.

1. quintisv

quintisv Geek Trainee

Hi.

Well, have a self built rig.

it just sort of stopped.

-At first I thought it may be an overheated component so I let it cool for the night but on the next day it would not start.

-The PSU has blue LEDs and theyll turn on for maybe half a second before turning back off (the PC itself never starts up). I thought I had a bad PSU so I bought a new one. Now the new one won't start up at all

Which leads me to think that *uh oh* it may be the motherboard. Anyone have any thoughts suggestions? Worst case scenario I will bring it to a local shop so they can take a look at it,,,which is sort of not a good thing because the cost right there would be maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of a new mobo just for them to look at it. :mad:

- Other than what you guys think in generall,,,,is there some sort of cheap diagnostic equipment I could buy to test the MoBo myselff?

-thanks in advance

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Try building your PC up as barebones - this link may help.

Try that and then let us know the results.

3. quintisv

quintisv Geek Trainee

Seems like a good idea.

Question: how do you start up the system without the case? You mentioned something about a screwdrive but would have to elaborate for me . :confused:

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

You'll need to find the pins on the motherboard that the power switch is connected to, as when you press the power switch all it does is create a connection between those two pins, find those two pins and use a screwdriver (or other metal object) to short out those two pins. The pins may be labelled on your motherboard, could be something like PWR_SW or PWR.

5. quintisv

quintisv Geek Trainee

Ok.

So I brought it down to only the MoBo, cpu+fan, Ram, GC, and PSU. Results? nothing..Well, not quite nothing.

The old PSU has blue LEDs an they turned on for maybe half a second before turning back off. The brand new PSU just didnt do anything. (much like what happened when everything was connected in the case...

Is this looking like a MoBo issue?

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Okay just as another check, make sure nothing's shorting out anywhere. Also what PSU did you have and what new one did you buy?
    Also what are your computer specs?

7. quintisv

quintisv Geek Trainee

MoBo- Chaintech VNF4 Utra ,blah blah. Basically a 939 nForce4 pcie board
    http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_spec.asp?MPSNo=13&PISNo=318

CPU- Winchester A64 3000+

RAM - Geil 512mb DDR 400 x2
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144305

VC - XFX 6600GT

CDdrive/sata hard drive/floppy, etc. made up the rest

Old PSU - Powmax 480 watts http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163017

New PSU - Antec 350 watts
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332376&pfp=BROWSE

Also checked for shorts,,,none that I can see. The system shut off while it was running just fine as far as I know and hasnt start back up.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Neither of those two power supplies you've tried have the grunt to really get you started off properly. I suggest the FSP Group/Fortron AX400-PN or AX450-PN for a nice, inexpensive PSU. Newegg is the only shop that carries them that I know of.

9. quintisv

quintisv Geek Trainee

Interesting.

Ill return the Antec to rapeme-usa on monday and order one of those today. The POWMAX has worked fine for over a year though so although I *hope* its a PSU problem Im still thinking its Chaintech,,,guess we shall see.

I must admit that PSU-tology is still voodoo to me, I thought that a 350watt would at least start the system up.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That PowMax doesn't have the grunt to power your A64, and quite honestly, I'd rate a 300W Antec over that thing. PowMax isn't exactly the best brand of power supply, and it's showing. The Antec is probably fine, but again, I don't think it necessarily has the proper amperage to power your system. I've got a link in my sig about power supplies, and that will help you look at different power supplies to fit your needs.

11. quintisv

quintisv Geek Trainee

Update:

Ordered the AX400, returned the Antec. Tried the AX400 in the barebones setup and got the same dead response that I got from the Antec, no fans or lights anywhere on the MoBo or PSU etc. responding.

12. quintisv

quintisv Geek Trainee

Bump :cool:

I fear I my be avoiding the inevitable but no worries!

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, it seems like you got a dud board. I'd exchange it for a new one.

14. quintisv

quintisv Geek Trainee

Ok, get this;

Ordered an Asus MoBo and arrived today. I do a barebones check (just MoBo, RAM, CPU, and PSU) and fans start whirring and all that so I thought it was a fubar MoBo,,,,,,, then once its in the case and all hooked up I get the same problem I had before.

Disconnect everything again (except the GC) and the problem persists. Then I take out the GC an XFX 6600GT and the system starts back up. I put the CPU/RAM/PSU back on the Chaintech MoBo and the bastard starts up fine! :eek:

So now I know for sure that its not a MoBo problem and it seems to have something to do soley with the GC. Im getting an RMA from Newegg and will return the ASUS and in the meantime Ill be harassing XFX to see whats up, if all goes wrong I guess Ill have to get a new GC... thanks, ill let you know how it turns up :)