.pdf

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Swansen, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, so they pretty much drive me nuts. As i guess they are the industry standard for whatever reason for sending scanned images or just anything, and again for a reason i don't really understand. In an article i read, which was about the downfall of paper information, it stated it is partly due to things such as pdf's and larger screen. The larger screens make sense, but i'd think pdf's would completely drive people away, they're awkward and difficult to read. Ok, all that said, my real issue is, i work for a small sign shop, and about 75% of the time i get whatever logo or image some one wants a sign of and they send it in a pdf. Ok well no real problems, except trying to transfer anything from a pdf file is a nightmare (in the sense it never turns out the way the original file was) The quality is always horrible, and i deal with poor quality images a lot, due to most people not having sufficient computer skills. Anyways, i get a ton of stuff sent in a pdf file, which i generally never end up using because the quality is so poor after i transfer or copy the image... grrr. Like today, some one sent me an a render of a building they wanted to make a sign out of and sent them in a pdf. So after struggling with it for a couple hours and no real progress, i asked the guy if he had it in any other format and as it turned out had some really nice jpeg version. Which would have been really nice to have in the first place. Ok, so why is that of any significance, because that is pretty much the situation every time, granted i usually ask rate after i get a pdf file, but i was in a time crunch. Anyways, i never understood why people don't just send the file as it is, why take the time to convert it into a pdf just to save a tiny amount of space and send me a worse quality image. basically.

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

Well PDF - Portable Document Format. I was confused as well, as to why people are so stuck on this format, since PDF creating software isn't free or particulary good. But it's platform independent (that's why Portable). I think it's just a style - "Send something? PDF of course". PDF should be used for documents only. Thus, it's dumb to use PDF for sending of pictures, cause there are so many intercompatible visual file formats available.

3. Addis

Addis The King

Images have usually turned out well for me when extracting from PDFs, I can't remember how I did it, but it was saved as a jpeg perfectly.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yeah even then i find it hard to read from a pdf, maybe its just me but its hard to read and scrolling the document isn't the smoothest thing in the world. But oh man, Addis, you would be my hero if you could figure out how you got clear images out of pdf's that would save my life (more or less)