Processor Question

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by UnReaL88, Jun 16, 2005.

1. UnReaL88

UnReaL88 Geek Trainee

I was thinking of buying a cheap barebone off of tigerdirect and there are two that i was considering buying around the same price.
    Both come with a case power supply and 512mb pc 3200 ram but the processors were different.Right now i have a 766mhz celeron so i need a upgrade badly.one is a...
    celeron D 2.93GHz 533FSB 256kb cache
    the other is
    AMD Althon 2900+ xp 2.08GHz 400FSB 512kb cache

I already have a good video card and hard drive to put it in just wondering what would be the best was far as gaming. Both of those are far better then what i have now.
    I'm thinking the AMD would be better because of the cache but the celeron has better FSB and clock speed :eek:hah:

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

clock speeds mean nothing these days, I wouldn't be surprised to see that athlon score higher benchmarks than a 3.4ghz celeron. AMD's better for gaming.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ninja's right, go with the XP, the cache will make a big difference here. Especially the L1 cache, that's where all the instructions will head first, the XP has 128Kb's,the Celeron has a mere 8k, big difference. AMD has been the gaming chip of choice for years anyway. Good luck dude.

4. UnReaL88

UnReaL88 Geek Trainee

Thanks for the reply.When i get the money i plan to put a a gig or two or ram in it so it should be an ok gaming pc.On the product review someguy said he played halflife 2 fine with that processor.
    I cant seem to find that motherboards max processor speed,incase i wanted to upgrade later but oh well.only thing it says is... The KV7-V motherboard is based on the VIA KT600 Northbridge chipset and the VIA VT8237 Southbridge chipset. It supports AMD Athlon XP and Sempron processors with a FSB frequency of 400/333/266MHz.

From that it seems like it dont have a max speed but i would think there would be one.

Anyway,thanks for the help
    -UnReaL

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That motherboard should support it just fine. I believe Anti-Trend is running around with a KV7 in his main box. It'll support up to the XP3200+ even, unless for some odd reason Abit decided to remove the ability to run a CPU of that speed...and I highly doubt that.

As for the Celeron vs. Athlon, the Celeron is competing with the Duron/Sempron and the Athlon is competing with the Pentium.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

HL2 will depend much more on the graphics card, and the ram also helps too. If that guy had a 9800XT, a gig of ram and a Celeron at just 2.4GHz he'd still be able to run the game fine. It also depends on the setting though, I have a GeForce 6800, a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (939) processor but I can't even play HL2 with the texture quality on meduim, it runs all choppy because I only have 512MB's of ram I imagine. So wanting to upgrade to a gig+ or ram is a smart move:good: