Propaganda, and a way to end the US recession

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Swansen, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

the whole film is very well done, but if you don't want to sit through all of it, i at least recommend watching the last 40mins.

The Union

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, I just finished watching the documentary you linked, the full 1 hour 44 minutes. Essentially, I didn't disagree with any of it. I used to smoke weed from the age of 12 to about 18. First of all, it's not addictive any more than any other enjoyable activity. And yes, if you're an American not raised in the bible belt, you've almost certainly smoked a little bud. I quit smoking it because I didn't feel very motivated when I was high, and I didn't have the self control not to get high whenever I had the opportunity. Same reason I don't play WoW, actually. But my mom has systemic lupus, and I really wish marijuana was legal for her sake. I think it would do her a world of good for symptom relief. And since there's no long-term cure for lupus yet, marijuana would be 100x better for her symptoms than her legal (but harmful and expensive) prescriptions.

The reason that marijuana isn't legal is the same reason that DMSO isn't legal in the US: selfishness. The individual, personal selfishness of key politicians and corporate robber barons has directly led to the irrational policies we now hold as gospel. Not only for the legality of weed, but our policies towards war, taxes, foreign policy, health care, education, multi-trillion dollar money exchange from the poor to the very rich, and everything else that's fucked up about America. Only a country so utterly corrupted as ours can believe that we're "the land of the free", despite having ~5% of the world population, yet housing over ~25% of the entire world's prison population. Only here can you have people who support a war in the middle east that has no rational justification, yet oppose the personal usage of a natural herb with obvious health benefits. I mean, come on. We've shut our eyes and chosen to sleepwalk as a nation. In the US, corporate profits > sanity.

3. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

i think that video should be summarized into one sentence or somthing cause that video is way to long

4. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    I'm guessing you don't read a lot of books, hehehe[/ot]

5. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

nope only when i have to for school or if they actually interest me

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

I honestly didn't know about all the medicinal values cannabis holds, its crazy, even for small things like allergies and depression. However, i was AMAZED at the change of the person with MS, i couldn't believe it. Its messed up though, how much the Gov. lies, and how they let corporate CEOs and greed rule over all else, regardless of how many it hurts. I wish it was legal for all stated reasons, everyone thinks it kills you, and why wouldn't you, everywhere you look there is some propaganda telling you so, probably partly backed by a pharmaceutical company.

wow Matt.... wow.... i'm going to carry a mobile DVD player around with me, just in case i run into you, i'm going to strap you down and make you watch it. :D

7. Anti-Trend

Now, about cannabis fixing the economy? :p Hehehe, sorry but no way. It would add some revenue, but not much. It would also save an assload on drug enforcement and prison costs. But there's a huge, fundamental issue with our financial system, and I don't know that it's even possible to be fixed in the first place. Plus we're fighting a bunch of very expensive and unnecessary wars, and nobody is willing to put a stop to that. You see politicians arguing about whether or not to cut back health care and education, but they're not even willing to think about taking on the military industrial complex at this point; it's too tightly ingrained with our political structure.

8. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

how about u carry some cannabis to so all i will want to do is chill on the couch an laugh at that video :chk: and some alcohol couldnt hurt either

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Honestly, for once, i'm not sure i agree.. completely. I don't think it would fix the economy, but it would be a HUGE bolster, and would bring back the dieing agricultural economy, local farms especially. Just like in the video, we spend millions of dollars enforcing drug laws and wrongfully persecuting cannabis users, as well as dealing with the illegal drug trade AND gangs and crime. Which some could argue are the new organized crime mobs, only now they are just unorganized... kinda. Gangs are funded by drug trade and being that the demand for cannabis is so high the price inflates insanely. I know people who spend almost 20k a year, and thats only making one maybe two purchases a week. Off topic, but needs to be stated, both of which hold good jobs and do well to school, one is graduated, but also don't really have hobbies, its pretty much what they do with free time. Anyways, there is an EXTREME amount of money that circulates around to generally fund only crime that could be used to fund whatever, i mean three billion is a large number, but including industrial hemp, i definitely believe it. NOW, for the part i do agree with, yes, were not fixing problems, just putting bandages over them, but its like trying to patch a whole in a MASSIVE dam... it will just break again. So, on a final note... right now, it wouldn't save anything, because whatever would be made in a year, would currently be spent in a week in Iraq.....
    i should have expected that....

10. Anti-Trend

Our national debt is about $11 trillion -- that's a 14-figure number. We're talking about saving maybe a few billion in enforcement costs and maybe making a few billion in taxes once the laws were theoretically in place. While this would be a good and very rational decision for our country to make, you should understand that this would still only be a tiny drop in the bucket of our massive, ever-growing debt.

11. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

America is going to declare bankruptcy soon in the great game of monopoly :chk:

12. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

so im watching the movie with my friend right now an i like how they just proved that it doesnt cause brain cells to die or lung cancer

an that it use to be used in 25k different products

13. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Legalization bill

Thats intense, but, i dunno. I'm honestly a little bit worried. If a bill gets shot down, its EXTREMELY difficult to get going again... we'll see i guess. However, i couldn't believe the numbers he was stating, 34 billion was a conservative estimate.

The Real News Network - US gains from legalising cannabis