Rainbow Six

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by talker1106, Dec 18, 2006.

1. talker1106

talker1106 Geek Trainee

I have never played a Rainbow Six game but am interested in starting. The problem is that I'm new to tactical shooters and am kind of confused with the Rainbow Six franchise. I see a lot of boxes with the name Rainbow Six 3 on them with subtitles such as Lockdown, Raven Shield, Black Arrow, etc. Which one is a good one for someone who is new to the series to start with? BTW, I am looking to play on the PC.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

With your rig I'd look into the newest, Rainbow Six Vegas. Seems to be getting great reviews and appears to be a wise place to start.

3. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

I want to get Rainbow 6 vegas but it says it needs 3ghz cpu to play, will the 2.4ghz conroe core be able to handle it?

4. talker1106

talker1106 Geek Trainee

I heard that Rainbow Six Vegas is more arcade like and not as real as the other ones. I also read that the PC version is very buggy and the technical requirements are way higher than print to get a frame rate higher than ten fps. Get the 360 version if you have one, which I don't.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay well I'm a little bias as I'm not personally into highly tactical shooters but the review on gamespot.com looked quite promising at least. And yeah a 2.4Ghz conroe would be more than enough as that's in a completely different league than the P4's which the requirements are based on.

6. Putter

Putter Geek

Essentially there's two different parts of the Rainbow 6 franchise: tactical and arcade. Rainbow 6, Rogue Spear and Ravenshield (and their respective expansions) are all tactical based shooters. Lockdown and Vegas are arcade shooters.

First: Lockdown blows; don't play it.

Second, if you want the true Rainbow 6 experience, you should start from the beginning and play straight up Rainbow 6. It's actually installed on my comp right now and I LANed it a few days ago with my bro. Tactical bliss, R6 and Rogue Spear be (Rogue Spear is essentially the same with somewhat upgraded graphics and weapons and all that). If you're not into old games, Ravenshield is really good aswell, though the single player is comparatively week (there's really no story at all). It's got great online if you can find a good game, and it's perhaps even more tactical based than the previous ones (wonder why it's so unpopular:rolleyes: ).

Then you have Lockdown: I repeat. Don't play it.

Vegas is an entirely different game from its predessesors. While still good, it's really more action oriented (with less brain, more twitchyness). I don't think it's even in the tactical category anymore, and if it is, it's just a flat out lie. It's got nicer graphics too, and a Conroe processor will run it quite nice. However, it really depends a lot more on graphics card; you need one that supports shader model 3.0 (that's essentially, high end cards only). And even if your card does support 3.0 and it's a low end model, it's still not going to work. You really need a fairly good card to be able to run it well (anandtech says, with high res and all the features, you pretty much NEED a 8800 card to get a good framerate). Essentially, not very well done, as the graphics aren't even as good as some other games. Perhaps post your card and we can work out how good it will be?

But as for what game you want, it really depends on what you want: tactics or action.

7. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

my card is the 512mb 7950gt XFX XXX version , its mem speed is 1600mhz, GPU speed is 610mhz and it has 24 pipelines. what do you rekon? will handle it or not

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

you will deffenitly be able to handle it.

I was just going to start a thread about it.

Does rainbow six Vega mark the end of life for cards under the 6xxx Nvidia range and the X1xxx range of cards?

I have got this game, i doubt its going to work for me due to one factor, my card doesent support SM3.0, so its unsupported, so does this mark the end of life ofr cards like mine? i am guessing other big games to come like UT2007 will also be needing a card with Sm3.0 and proberbly cards lower than X1800XT wont run it :\

Lukily there is a hack to get Rainbow Six Vegas to work on cards lower than the system req, basically it forces the game to work on cards with SM2.0 and cancels HDR, good for some people, it downgrades the graphics slightly though, time for everyone who wants to play this with a card lower than the above to get a new card :(.

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Unreal Tounrament2k7 will scale back just fine. Unreal 2k3/4 can run on some very old hardware because they know that not everyone is able to get bleeding edge stuff all the time. I think that on low UT2k7 will look about as impressive as 2k4 on highish I imagine but it should run great on you're X800XT for sure. So long as you don't crank the texture settings all the way I'm sure you'd have no prob paying it on medium settings.

10. Willz

I will have an 8800GTS by the time UT2K7 comes out :D

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Really? That would be killer. Got some Christmas money eh?:)
    I know I just played a recent Rainbow Six game a friends house and I'm pretty sure it was Lockdown. It was from 2005 I think and had great graphics and a whole lot of weapons and all but I wouldn't concider it to be arcade-like. 3 hits you're dead and you still had to do the whole squad command thing so it wasn't just run and gun. Maybe I'm missing something that defines the genre.

12. Willz

Nah, i am selling my X-FI Fatal1ty and new top of the range Netgear wireless adsl 2 router thats worth like 70 quid for it, then ummm, i dunno were the rest of the money is coming from, i might sell my old computers. If needs be i might sell my G15 too.

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Wow, guess you're really pumped for that card. Hopefully ATI will push Nvidia's pricing down a bit when they release.