Review: 3G Juice Cut My SIM Tool

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by RHochstenbach, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I've been testing the Cut My SIM tool by 3G Juice. This tool has been designed to convert a regular SIM card into a MicroSIM card. Which is used in new mobile devices. Two popular devices are the iPad 3G and the iPhone 4.

What's in the box?
    The box contains the Cut My SIM tool and two adapters to convert MicroSIM cards back into regular SIM cards.

Usage
    The top of the tool shows an illustration of how you should insert the SIM card. Insert it in the front of the tool, and then press the lever down to extract the MicroSIM part of the card. After that, you can use one of the included adapters to check if it fits properly. You can also use the adapters to put your MicroSIM card into a device with a regular SIM tray.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A few problems
    After testing the Cut My SIM tool, I've noticed that a very small part of the SIM card doesn't get cut out, therefore you lose a very small bit of the card. But after testing it, the MicroSIM card appears to be working.

[​IMG]

Warning: Put the tool on your desk, insert the SIM card and then push the lever down. Do not hold it in your hand and press the two parts together, as you can cut yourself!

Conclusion
    The Cut My SIM tool is great for converting your SIM card into a MicroSIM card. There are a few problems with it, which haven't been documented. The extracted card appears to work fine in the devices that I've tested so far. However there is no guarantee it will work in all cases, so first check if your carrier doesn't provide you a free MicroSIM card. But because this is a precision tool, it's less likely to fail then cutting it manually.

Pros:
    - Lightweight
    - Easy to Use
    - Includes MicroSIM to SIM conversion adapters

Cons:
    - Injury might occur when not using it properly.
    - A tiny bit of the copper part of the SIM card gets cut off

Price: $25

2. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

whoaa! This is cool. I thought that Micro Sim cards are totally made different from the regular sized sim cards.

3. RHochstenbach

The size of the actual chip is the same, the border around it is just smaller.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

nice, I see your getting ready for the iPhone 4 (take 2) :)

5. RHochstenbach

I'm getting it around the 6th of August from the UK because those don't have a carrier lock on them :)