Speakers - severe interference.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by nicky9499, Nov 27, 2009.

1. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

Hi guys,

I have a set of 2.1 speakers (about 3 years old), works fine and all but suffers from quite a bit of outside interference such as the neighbor's radio and just alot of soft but noticeable buzzing. It also pops softly when certain switches at flipped around the home (don't mind this though). As they still sound good and I don't intend to buy a new set anytime soon, is there any handiwork I can do to reduce to eliminate this interference?

Cheerio,
    Nicholas.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

They aren't insulated, and it would be way too much effort to retrofit. If I was you, I'd be careful to get an insulated set when you choose your replacements.

I've really enjoyed both my Bose Companion 3 and Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, and would wholeheartedly recommend either for a 2.1 PC sound system. The Klipsch is probably the better of the two, and it's also the cheaper. Unfortunately it's discontinued, so may be trickier to come by.

3. nicky9499

nicky9499 Geek

Okay, thanks for the advice. How do I check if the speakers I'm buying are insulated and/or magnetically shielded?

Cheerio,
    Nicholas.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The best way is to look at the spec sheet and see if shielding is listed as a feature. Also read reviews and see if anybody has complained about bad or no shielding with the particular speaker model you are considering.

The two models of speakers I have recommended above are shielded, and sound exceptional for the price range. I'd highly recommend either.