The Future Of My Rig?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Willz, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hey.

My bank is low, and i wont be able to do an upgrade untill summer, or proberbly even next christmas!

So what am i going to be stuck with?

See my specs (in sig and my computer).

Well, i have got a preety old graphics card (X800XT PE), i can run most games i play at maximum settings like Half life 2, Guild wars, Oblivion, Ut2k4, NFSMW, NFSU2, NFSC, GTA SA.... and so on....

The problem is DirectX10 is just around the corner, and most games now that are coming have amazing graphics, i mean Games like Unreal Tournament 2007 will proberbly absolutly crush my rig, and its one of the games i am waiting for, really the only one, and i fear i wont be able to play that at any decent settings.

I am considering Linux, runs alot faster than windows, most things you can do in windows will run loaddsss faster in linux i think, apart from games, which proberbly will run alot worse because i have ATi :(, but i dont have the Luxary of upgrading.

I can run everyday stuff normally, i dont fell the need for Dual Core, as i am happy with the speed of my current cpu, but if i had the option for Dual core and considered getting it when i upgraded to AMD, then i would of.

I am aware that most modern games take advantage of 2GB of ram, i found my system been totally chocked when i played Battlefield 2142, i had to reset the computer because i got sick of waiting to return to the desktop after exiting Battlefield 2142, but then again, i only have 512mb of ram, if the need ever comes were it is of the most importance to upgrade to ever run games properly, which i suspect will be the case in a month or two, but i have that sorted, i can just de commision my old pentium 4 rig and steal the ram out of that :p.

So what do you think the future holds for this rig?, personly i dont think its going to be up to the job of running any games past summer 07, its allready stuggling, and i have seen the graphics of Gears of War on the XBOX 360, and proberbly in the next month there will be a relase for the PC with graphics as good as that i guess, and i dont think my computer will be up to running anything like that at all :\, but i never know, my computer may pull through, i was surprised when i could run F.E.A.R at maximum settings, although i did see FPS dropping to about 9fps which wasent a very nice experience!

2. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

I would maybe invest in a RAM upgrade, get it up to 1GB if you can. If not, you are going to be stuck running games pretty slow. The graphics card is ok, but upgrading the RAM should be your first priority

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I agree, going to 1GB will really help a lot. That's been the most noticeable booster for my box that I've done.

4. Willz

Yea, i am sorted on the ram.

what about the rest of the stuff??

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's amazing you can run FEAR and Oblivion etc. on max with half a gig. But yeah like the other's I highly recommend that. It'll only be like 30 quid or something and I found that it pretty much made things go from medium settings and choppy to maximum and lag free. Granted the rest of my rig is worse than yours, especially when I only had 512MB but you'll definately notice either way.
    But that's the only logical upgrade you can do right now. If you really wanted to get into DX 10 cards then you'd be spending a boat load of money (with Vista, and probably a new proc and mobo and ram for no bottlenecks) on what, one game pretty much (UT2k7). I know that in time you'll be interested in more but as it stands that's a massive investment for not a whole lot. You might be surprised at how you can run some of these later games with a gig of ram.

6. Willz

I couldent run Oblivion and F.E.AR at max settings with 512mb of ram, my main rig used to have 1gig in, but i took 512mb out and put it in the old computer so that when my dad wanted to use the computer he did not need to use the one i was on, so i could play games and do stuff as much as i wanted withought having to be interupted by my dad always wanting to go on the computer and download stuff and muck things up.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh, that makes a bit more sense but either way that's the best upgrade for you. Might as well just get some stuff to match what you already have.

8. Willz

Yea i would, cant afford it though :p, my grandad should be able to buy me a pc upgrade for christmas, he is wealthy, and yet gives all his granchildren 10 or 20 quid for birthdays and christmas, and spends to rest on his Girlfreind :\, i am going to ask him to get me an X1950Pro..

9. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

Still stuck on AGP then :/? What makes it so that you can't afford to upgrade? Is it that at this particular time you're struggling financially or that you don't have a regular income?

Well I might as well mention this anyway... Ebuyer.com have a finance scheme so you can pay it all off in 6 months time, so if you can somehow get the money at a later date then you can upgrade right now?

Mike

10. Willz

i suppose, sounds good, but dont that add intrest?.

But i would prefer to buy it straight away, as i dont know if i would have the money at the time.

I wouldent really want to upgrade AGP, because its outdated now.

11. NeloForster

Not if you pay it back within 6 months

By that, do you mean you wouldn't want to upgrade the AGP graphics card? The X1950pro looks alright but as with all in the "pro" range, the core and memory clock and quality is usually of a lower standard to the rest in its model group (XT, XTX, GT) ... I'd say it'd perform as well as an X1800 range card, anyone agree?

Mike

12. Willz

i rekon it would beat an X1800XT, its competing with the 7900GS, which beats the X1950pro, but it costs too much for AGP, i wont be investing in AGP anymore, unless someone buys for me :p

13. NeloForster

I've got an ECS PCI-E s939 mobo. PM me fi you want to buy it or something.