Two Network problems - need help please...

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by jnms, Sep 22, 2004.

1. jnms

jnms Geek Trainee

I have had trouble with my network lately, sorted some of the problems out, but two still remain:

1) Over the wired (100mbit) network, the PC's are often loosing the connection to mapped drives. Apparently the connetion disappears and then comes back again a little later. Strangly, the Internet connections do not disappear.

2) Over the WiFi network, the signle strength is constantly changing. It goes from very good, to good, to very good again. Then it drops of the network...before finally reconnect. This cycle happens every 3 - 4 mins. Niether the PC or the access point have been moved.

These problems seem to have appeared over the last six weeks or so. Help really would be appreciated...

2. paulatreboot

paulatreboot Geek Trainee

what operating system have you got and is one of the pcs hard wired to the wirelesss router,if it is i would try changing the nic card
    or adding one,
    depending what operating system you have, try msconfig and switch of everything in startup and if that works then add one at a time back on untill the problem starts

paul.....................

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'm no network expert but I've had similar problems as your first question, and it turned out to be bad cables (the connections), so you might wanna' check that out.

Of course, that does not apply to your Wireless problems :p