what do you think?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Willz, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

ok, i am planning on buying new graphics card and motherboard, what do you think of my computer with these specs?
    lows end?, medium end?, high end?, crap gamers pc?, ok gamers pc?, ace gamers pc?

pentium 4 3.0ghz E @ 3.6ghz
    DFI lanpart 875 pro
    x800xl @ XT standards
    160gb hdd
    HIPER TYPE-R 580/630W PSU
    Good case and lighting (see images in case gallary)
    dvd/rw/cd/rw.
    AC FREEZER 4 cpu cooler
    1GB generic pc3200 ram (its good enought, does the job, i dont demand lightning fast ram)

2. Addis

Addis The King

Its bordering on the ok gaming pc to ace gaming pc. Your CPU is weak compared to A64s for gaming although your graphics card and RAM are good.

3. Willz

i wouldent say the cpu is that bad, a 3,6ghz intel pentium 4 processor would be almost as good as a 3200+, and besides, in games i would only get like 15 fps extra wouldent i?

extra 15 fps with a card like that is not essential, is it?

i could try pushing for 3.8ghz :\, i dont want to make the cpu start to smoke tho :'(

maybe i might just buy an amd motherboard and save up for the processor after buying the graphics card, can you get motherboards with socket 939 that have agp slots?

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

5. Willz

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

As its a MX version i dont think its a 'great' overclocker but a fair one!
    Id say with an AMD64 it'd be an ACE gaming system.

7. Willz

8. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

That mobo you linked isnt too bad at all!
    They have only been around for a few years but Albatron make excellent overclocking boards and run cool!

9. Willz

well, hopefully maybe next year, i might upgrade to athlon, i am not too botherd about pci-e, or sli, i dont really want sli, so the x800xl will do for me.

10. Willz

if i go for a socket 754, i could get CLAWHAMMER a 3700+ (1MB L2 CATCH) AMD 64 FOR ABOUT £142, do you think it would be ok to do that, i am not planning to upgrade the new amd motherboard when i buy it, if i got it, once i had the x800xl gpu, and 3700+ processor and motherboard (skt754) the next upgrade i would do would be a new computer.

do you think its then wise for me to go for socket 754?

if i did go for skt 754, this would be my selection
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=86394
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=63119

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you're just using as a temporary holdover until you completely rebuild your rig, then yeah, I'd say it's fine. However, just remember that if you change your mind, you'll likely have the fastest CPU you can get for that socket type as it's AMD's value/temporary socket, and you may only have Sempron's as upgrade options.

12. Willz

huh, upgrading to a sempron form an amd 64 3700+, thats not right, semprons are rubbish, why is 754 tempory, you make it sound like its a disposable knife or fork :s.

and if i did go for skt 754, i would be using it for about 3-5 years.