What to do with spare PC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RockDiesel, Jul 5, 2008.

1. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

I apologize ahead of time if this isn't the right forum for this question.

I have a spare PC that has been gathering dust, so I was wondering if anyone has any cool, functional ideas for it.

For instance, I was thinking of turning it into a DVR, or my own web server.

Just wondering if anyone has anything cool to share that they did with a spare PC.

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I have one in my loft which has been used as a webserver, a media server, a backup server and also a PC to do large downloads. Currently however, it is doing nothing!

Webservers don't require much more than a Pentium III 500MHz I understand, so it couldn't be too hard to get it going.

Where I work they have PC's with AMD 80286 Processors which are 12Mhz. Some run MS-DOS 3.30 and one I think runs MS-DOS 6.22. Not a lot we can do with them now!!

3. m60dude5

m60dude5 Geek Trainee

I don't remember the link, so someone let me know, but there is a place where you can "Donate" CPU power from a spare computer to an organization to use for developing medicines, cures for diseases, etc. You download a program onto the computer, specify how much you want to give (so if it is old, and you don't use it, just put in 100%) and what percent of bandwidth you want to use. You can even choose 100% while you're away and 0% when you're home. Basically the organization uses everyone's computers and increases processing capabilities. I thought it was pretty cool. Just an idea.

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

That would be:

Folding@home - Main

And I think there is a Hardware Forums team. You can also set a PS3 folding, which really helps as it uses 7 cores of it's processor (the 8th one is never used with anything, it is a backup incase one fails).

5. RockDiesel

RockDiesel Geek Trainee

cool stuff, thanks for the suggestions guys.

after doing some research, I think I may go with this option - MythBuntu.com.

However, the donating CPU power for research option sounds kinda cool too.

6. edijs

edijs Programmer

I would make it to be a server. That's for sure. Depends, of course, what kind of server you'd need, but definately a server. For myself, I'd make it a file server (+ some backup function for my other machines). Then, I would rip out any dvd drives it has and put a cd drive instead (for maintenance) and I'd probably add a floppy drive.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you could even do both the Folding at Home and the HTPC setup. In fact, HWF has it's own Folding @ Home Team.

8. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Well, for me, i used my second PC so i could get familiar with Linux and what not. Also, more recently, my main rig, and gaming rig died, so i kinda had a change of heart and decided to turn it into something like a media PC. On that, i don't know your budget, but if you want it to be a proper HTPC, then your going to have to put some money into to. Then again, i don't really know how you feel about high definition, as well, i don't know where AMD/ATI is on this, but only 8 series and up support HDCP, so that is something to consider. As well, your obviously going to need a lot of storage space, so adding HDDs. On a final note, i run F@H as well as doing everything else no problems.