what to upgrade ????

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lukewhite, Mar 25, 2010.

1. lukewhite

lukewhite Geek Trainee

Hi guys,right then,I have windows vista 64 bit os ,a asus blitz formula speacial edition ddr2 mobo, an e6850 cpu 4gb 1066 reaper ram ,4870 x2 gpu, razer barracuda sound card and 500 gb barracuda hard drive ,i was just pondering what to upgrade,i have around £200 to spend and want to spend it wisely,my main aim is to improve on frame rates as im getting around the low 30s and quite rarely high 20s and sometimes in 40s in fraps [frame rates per second ],i am currently playing battlefield bad company 2 and here are a few of my ideas
    1 change os to windows 7
    2 change cpu to a quad extreme edition,can get these on ebay for around that price
    3 Accelero Xtreme 4870 X2 cooler and o/c the card but i dont know how to LOL
    basically would any of these ideas improve frame rates,or if you have an idea please let me know thanks luke :chk::chk::chk::chk::chk:

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

I vote for a CPU upgrade hands down.

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

I would recommened overclocking that cpu of yours to 3.6ghz instead of wasting money on a cpu. Overclock your system bus to 1600mhz and you cpu multiplier to x9 and a vcore voltage of 1.5v and cpu pll voltage of 1.6v and nb voltage of mid - high

400x4 (QDR) = 1600mhz (system bus)
    400x9 = 3600mhz (core speed)
    3600mhz will also be the L2 cache speed.

prime 95 for around 3 -4 hrs.

Money well saved :)

If you itching to spend your money I would recommened using the Intel onboard raid controller, intergrated into the southbridge (ICH9R) and setting up a RAID 0.
    Raid 0 will make a massive difference to the performance of your machine.
    The disks I would recommened to use are WD Caviar blacks with an average read speed of 90mb/s. Try three of them in a raid 0, so your average read will be around 250mb/s you'll also have the best of both worlds because you will have capacity around 1.5tb and performance, only thing it will lack is seek time. But when it comes to loading up multiple programs, games, extracting rars, zip files etc, loading maps in games etc will make a massive difference.

Just set your sata controller to raid mode in the bios and save and exit, during the posting process it will say hit f6 (or a certian key) to enter the raid controllers bios then just select the bus addresses the disks are attached to and select raid 0 and add each disk to the raid, all done. Vista will most likely put a generic driver on for the raid controller so you won't have to worry about drivers.

anyway hope this helps in your decision