Which one of these processors is faster?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by jari, Dec 17, 2006.

1. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi,
    can you tell which one is faster, AMD sempron 4300+ or AMD Althlon XP 3000+ ? And how much?
    Also I am wondering if the sempron is 64 bit processor since it says "AMD64 technology" but I am not sure if it just means the socket or something?

I'd like to understand processors better in order to tell the difference my self but I don't know since you cant tell it by just the mhz.

Thank you.

2. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

I wouldn't go near a Sempron if I were you... they're budget processors with low cache. A higher model of Sempron means you can type faster in Microsoft Wordpad :)

On a serious note though, I used to have a 2600+ Sempron back in my Socket A days, and eventually replaced it with an XP1800+ and my PC ran about twice as fast...

I'd say the A64 3000+ but why not spend that small bit extra on an A64 3700+ with 1mb cache?

Modern Sempron's are 64-bit.

Mike

3. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply!

Hmm, do you mean sempron by the A64?

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

A is for Athlon....So A64 is Athlon 64bit processor....

5. jari

jari Geek Trainee

That's what I was thinking but is he saying I should buy any 64-bit athlon..? But preferably not sempron, I guess. :)

The thing is that I had this sempron as a gift and mother board for it as well and my current PC has the XP, so I'm trying to determine which one to use. Can't just use/test it yet since the mobo doesn't have RAM atm.

6. NeloForster

Well, there seems to be a bit of confusion but I understand how I could've caused it...

There's the Athlon (Now flagship 64bit processors, used to be 32-bit on sktA boards and earlier), Sempron (budget processors capable of 64-bit but definitely not for gaming), Duron (obsolete), and Turion (Mobile processors)

So by A64 I mean Athlon 64.

Put simply, don't get a Sempron unless your budget forces you to :) But like I say, if you got for the Athlon 64 3000+, shop around microdirect.com or ebuyer.com for an Athlon 64 3700+ instead. It shouldn't cost much more than a 3000+ and it's far superior too.

Hope this helps

Mike

7. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

agreed. Dont get the sempron/ the 3700+ is around £50 an the 3000+ is £40. a sempron 3400+ is £45.

aslo wat socket are u looking for.

8. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Thanks for all the replies and thanks for clearing everything out!

This motherboard supports AM2 socket. So that then. :)

9. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Ah thanks for clearing that out! :)

Hmm, are those eshops located in england or do you order from there anyway from where ever they sent the parts? Because I am in Finland.

Thanks this sure helps!

10. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

ebyer only ship to uk i think. u cud try amazon. in fact if ur looking for an am2 socket, then i suggest that u get a dual core to be fututre proof and u will really see a difference when converting mpegs etc. the dual core 3800+ x2 is around £90-100.

11. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Ok, thanks.

I was able to test the sempron processor and run it using a memphis (linux liveCD) so that reminded me of CPU bench mark tools. Does anyone know any good ones for linux which I could run from a live CD?

12. NeloForster

I'm not a Linux guy mself :/ I'd use it but I'm too big a gamer and worried my games won't work as well on Linux as they would on XP...

Finland eh? You get the fantastic Sonata Arctica, and we get... Girls Aloud :(

Unfortunately Ebuyer and Microdirect delivery by national courier, so can't do Finland I'm afraid :/

Mike

13. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Ok I used geekbench.
    In case any one is interested you can view the benchmark results of geekbench from these links:
    AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+

So the sempron seems to be about 33% faster in overal performance. That's a lot but this was apparently not just CPU test so there are other variables that effect.

14. Themoho94

Themoho94 Geek Trainee

i guees the AMD Althlon XP 3000 is better my way to see what is the best cpu i see the latest motherboards and see witch cpu they support

15. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Hmm, Please dont post unless you at least know the basics of the subject. This avoids confusion, bad advice, and ultimately the forums reputation. Its best to just view the posts over a few months until you feel able to offer an opinion that could be useful.