Windows fails to load (new install)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silentseba, Aug 30, 2008.

1. silentseba

silentseba Geek Trainee

So, I've been trying to build a desktop with spare parts I have laying around from my old computer. The specs of the computer are as follows:

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM I think... it could be less (1.5Gigs)
    Intel BOXD925XCVLK LGA 775 Intel 925X ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Newegg.com - Intel BOXD925XCVLK LGA 775 Intel 925X ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    6600GT Gforce
    460W Power Supply

I put all the hardware together and installed windows vista into it. The computer boots to CD fine and it is able to install windows into the computer. The computer goes through the initial installation, restarts once to finish installing, restarts again to load windows and do the final steps of the installation, but it freezes after the Windows Loading screen (the black screen with a small bar showing progress on the bottom) After about 10 seconds of loading, the screen turns black. An artifacted white line appears at the top for 1 second, then turns black again. The computer freezes as this point as ctrl+alt+delete does nothing and pressing numlock/caps does not turn the lights on/off on the keyboard.

This is what I have tried before running out of ideas:
    -Tested the video card on a separate computer and it worked fine
    -Removed the RAM and attempted to boot the computer 1 stick at a time. It still frooze on the same screen.
    -Re-installed windows twice, the second time I re-installed I used a different version of the install (without SP1). Every time I re-installed, it failed at the same spot.

So what else could I do? If my test were accurate, then this should point towards the motherboard/processor. I have no idea how to check if these are working correctly... I don't have another computer that fits the same CPU, or enough parts or an extra processor to fit on the computer.