7800GS clocks stuck with Coolbits?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by enoc, Nov 20, 2007.

1. enoc

enoc Geek Trainee

I've got a 7800GS OC which has been in use roughly 2 years. In the past 3 months I've started to tinker with it's clock (CPU as well from 3.0 to 3.2 - different story, but possibly related) via the coolbits registry hack. The OC which I've had stable and problem free is roughly 420/1300.

Now in testing these frequencies, I always made note to reset back to stock settings since I was warned that Coolbits doesn't reset this for you when you change it up - making it difficult to know what you're actually running at (the auto-detect safe freq thing, I think, was the option referred to).

Here's where my concern comes into play - Two days ago I updated my drivers to Nvidia's latest release (ForceWare 163.75 according to the control panel), which I installed over my previous drivers without uninstalling. What's wrong then? I forgot to reset Coolbits!! Now I don't have access to it, and a whole new Nvidia control panel to boot! I'm afraid I've locked myself into my OC even when the control panel is set to stock. Since the new drivers I've noticed artifacts which were not visible before such as minor pixelation and white strips popping in and out on my black desktop. Now I'm back to stock settings, which I assume means that I'm back to my previous OC - 420/1300, still the problems persist.

The first thing I'm going to do is attempt to roll back my driver. Hopefully that will bring back coolbits, at which point I can decide to go back to stock and reinstall the new drivers, or just stay with my old drivers which were stable with the OC and didn't appear to give me any artifacts. Anybody with experience OC'ing, or more specifically with coolbits, feel free to chime in as I'm pretty much learning as I go and could use a little guidance.

Thanks, enoc.

Edit:
    Sorry - Didn't realise this is in the wrong forum before I posted.