Bad Image Errors

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by craigb6, Oct 22, 2007.

1. craigb6

craigb6 Geek Trainee

Hi,

Sorry is this is in the wrong forum, but I am getting desperate to solve this problem.

The family computer is playing up and to the best of my knowledge the computer in question just simply suddenly stopped working as it should. I am unable to get the 'default' welcome screen upon start up and am getting the logon box where you type in a username and passworld. I know how to get rid of this, user accounts>enable welcome screen - but it will not solve the problem.

This is just the start of the problems. I get a whole host of errors which popup one after another. This is a summary of the errors which popup:
    userinit.exe bad image
    hpztsb05.exe bad image
    psdiagnostic.exe bad image
    vscplay.exe bad image
    ituneshelper.exe bad image
    zlclient.exe bad image
    wcescomm.exe bad image

Once these errors pop up the desktop picture appears, but no icons/start menu are available. I have to ctrl/alt/delete then run a command (such as control or winword) then I get the icons and the start menu. However most programs cannot run at all, for example I cannot run Spybot, I get the error: 'SpybotSD.exe - bad image' 'The Application of DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\winspool.drv is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette'.

Basically I cannot tell if this is a spyware/adware/virus/HDD failure problem. I can however run AVG antivirus, and it finds no problems.

Does anyone know how I can get the computer working again? Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Tech

Tech Padawan

Unfortunatley I dont have any super-dooper solution to your problem but if you use the advanced boot options by pressing F8 after POST, and choose to boot using the "Enable Boot Logging" option you may at least find some more helpful information to locate your problem via the ntbtlog.txt log file you'll find in the system root folder.

:)

3. craigb6

craigb6 Geek Trainee

I ran the boot log thing, but it created a log which is too long to post here. What should I look for? Thanks.

4. Tech

Tech Padawan

Generally look towards the end of the log as this is more likely to be where problems occur. The problem may even be the final entry!

Alternatively you could boot in Safe Mode which will boot the system using basic drivers which will get it going in a make shift way so you can access the tools you'd normally find in Windows (eg system restore), although you may already have tried this.

You should also google the problem, especially "userinit.exe bad image". I just took a quick look and this seems to be well documented.

5. craigb6

craigb6 Geek Trainee

Thanks for the response. Running sfc/scannow solved the problem. The computer is now working as it was before. Thanks!!!