Building a new PC, any suggestions or problems?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by halfakeyboard, Nov 30, 2007.

1. halfakeyboard

halfakeyboard Geek Trainee

In about a month I'm going to be building a new PC, and I have about $1000 to spend on it.

Here is everything I picked out:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo ($106.99)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 ($182.99)

RAM: 2 1GB sticks, 2 512MB sticks of 667MHz DDR2 Kingston RAM ($79.58)

Graphics card: Asus EN8800GT ($295.99)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA2 ($74.99)

Case: Antec Sonata III; Includes 500 watt Antec EarthWatts power supply ($112.99)

LG DVD Writer ($33.19)

Antec Fan TriCool 120 ($7.99)
    A second case fan for the front of the case, same as the fan included with the case.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or know of any problems I'll run into with these?

2. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Yep. why get DDR2 667mhz memory when the board supports 800mhz memory?
    Also for only a few dollars more (not the film) you can get the E6750 core 2 duo which has much better performance and if you wanna overclock, the cpu can run at 3.2ghz stable.
    Canada Computers - CPU > Desktop Intel Processors : Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Socket LGA775, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, 65nm (Retail Box) (BX80557E6750).

As for the case, i initially looked at getting that same case but decided that the shiny surface maybe wouldn't look to good after a few months of acidental knocks.

The 8800GT is a solid performer, not particularly cheap but alot less than the GTX with only a small drop in framerate.

3. halfakeyboard

halfakeyboard Geek Trainee

"why get DDR2 667mhz memory when the board supports 800mhz
    memory?"

Since it's a bit less expensive, but it's less than $30 difference so I should get 800mhz memory instead. So now these 2 1GB sticks and these 2 512MB sticks.

"you can get the E6750 core 2 duo which has much better performance and if you wanna overclock, the cpu can run at 3.2ghz stable."

Good idea. Question, how fast do you think it's possible to overclock it using the stock heatsink and fan?

"As for the case, i initially looked at getting that same case but decided that the shiny surface maybe wouldn't look to good after a few months of acidental knocks."

I don't have to worry about the case getting knocked where I'll have it, so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

4. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

5. OnStock

OnStock Geek Trainee

Here is the answer you were looking for:

E2180 + Zalman 9700 NT + Corsair DDR2 XMS 6400 1GB matched pair with Heat Spreader

Just seen an earlier reply - user offering NT version of Zalman. I'm using it too, no issues, my 5200+ @ 3ghz running Orthos heats up to 37C only. And still, it's only 1900 rpm :)
    NT is more for modding, maybe i should have bought a LED instead of NT - less expensive. But anyway, i'm happy with it :)