cisco linksys WAG54G2-UK "limited connectivity" error

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by DanielGent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

Trying to setup a cisco linksys WAG54G2-UK for ADSL. Failing at the first step so far! Connected a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L1300 laptop by ethernet cable, get a "limited connectivity" problem. Connected another laptop, this time vista, get same problem.
    I didnt check on the XP laptop whether an IP was assigned, would it just be 0.0.0.0 otherwise?
    on vista ipconfig looks very different, for IPv4 it gave an IP address but it wasnt a 192.168 local one and I had no paper on me so didn't write down what it said.
    Its not at my house so just want some ideas before I go round again as I'll probably spend a while there.

Next steps I was going to try are
    -disabling firewalls and antivirus software, though I can't imagine this will make much difference
    -booting from Ubuntu USB/live CD and seeing what happens
    -taking round a known working ethernet cable
    -take round another ADSL router! then i can bring this dodgy cisco linksys one home and do some proper testing

Thanks for reading, any suggestions much appreciated,
    Dan Gent

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

that depends

presumable DHCP is assigning IP's ?

:agree:
    may work
    always a good idea
    probably unnecessary

np, also try another RJ45 connection on router

Edit: just out of interest is it static or dynamic IP ?
    and try reseting the router

Edit: also scan for spyware / rootkits with SuperAntiSpyware (Free Version)

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Try a different port on the switch.

4. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

Thanks for the replys.

I'll try all the ports next time I'm round that house. It could be something that simple.
    I'm going to give the laptop a static address 192.168.1.x and then see if I can ping the router, see what happens then. maybe I can log into it that way and see if DHCP is turned off.
    I tried resetting the router a few times. no luck.
    the IP address on the laptop might just have been one of those automatic windows ones, 162.x.x.x or whatever.

5. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

i tried two laptops and they both had antivirus software on yet both didnt work. how likely is it it could be spyware?

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Spyware is a very, very common problem on Windows, so I certainly wouldn't rule out an infection. However, the symptoms here don't match the M.O. of your typical malware.

• Are you able to get the laptops to connect to other hard-wired networks?
    • Is the cable you are using known to be good?
    • What about the port?
    • If you boot to a live Linux distro on either computer (see "try linux" links in my siggy), are you able to connect then?

7. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

Windows is problem ridden so my next step was to boot Ubuntu from USB, then I can rule out a bad OS as the problem ;^)
    I'm going to take a spare ethernet cable round (at least one) and also my ADSL router (which i'm not using anyway).
    I'll check all ports, i'm pretty sure i did that when i tried a 2nd laptop (with vista on though), but not 100%

8. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

Went round again to this house, and this time I decided to try the Wizard CD that came with it. It all worked first time (apart from having to set the Wifi Encyption to WPA rather than WPA2 for compatibility). Crazy. i didnt check before running the wizard whether DHCP was working but normally i dont run all those bundled cds as they just add unneccessary software, but this time it really worked.