Fast Downloads - Slow Website

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Dwarfer, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

Hi, I am looking at my friends computer who is in an area without broadband. The internet is slow, but downloading is pretty fast 3 - 5KB/sec.

Websites take on average to load over 2 minutes, google is 10 - 15 seconds for example.

What is going on! Is there a way to test why this is happening?
    Thanks

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

A download requires only one active TCP state, which entails receiving large blocks of data from the server side and sending brief receipt confirmations from the client side. The server side will wait until the client side has confirmed that the data has been received before sending more. Therefore, some disproportionately small uplink bandwidth is required even to download. With one single connection, the uplink requirements are fairly relaxed and not much upstream is needed, so one can get as close as possible to the theoretical download bandwidth limitations. With multiple simultaneous downloads however, the uplink can quickly become a limiting factor since the server side ends up waiting before sending more data.

The problem here is likely multiple simultaneous connections. Many websites utilize keepalives, meaning that a client can make multiple simultaneous requests for related elements, e.g. get html, a stylesheet, and some images in one go. This is desirable because it handles TCP connections efficiently and also causes the page to load all at once instead of progressively. With dialup however, the available bandwidth is easily bottlenecked by a single connection, let alone multiple simultaneous connections. Your friend should consider turning off keepalives and pipelining support in his browser, or if he has the cash to spend, maybe even load-balance two dialup connections or invest in ISDN (slow and pricey, but still better than dialup). The modern internet is just too much to ask of a single dialup connection.

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

by "disabling multiple connections" and "keepalive" i assume you mean such programs as onspeed, which is what he was using..

i disabled it like you said and it gave better performance, but when we download it keeps stopping, 2ce we got up to 50mb (ish) and it stopped (in fact it thought it download successfully even tho it knew the full file size was in the high 50megabytes) sometimes it stops when it downloads 2mb, or 10mb it depends, but theres no simularity in how much it downloads, it just stops :( we're trying to get adaware to flush out any foe's