HOW TO IDENTIFIED RAM TYPE (I.E. DDR1, DDR2,DDR3)

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by nilesh05, Jul 14, 2013.

1. nilesh05

nilesh05 Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I want to replace my pc ram but i can't know the ram type so,
    plZ tell me how to identified ram type it's DDR, DDR2,or DDR3.
    capacity of ram, what is frequencies etc.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You have to look up your Motherboards Specks, It will Tell you what you want... What Motherboard are you running? Or make and model of PC?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Most RAM modules will come with a sticker on them to state what speed they are and the capacity. Additionally, the module is keyed so that only said type of module will fit in the same slot. For example. DDR2 and DDR3 will not fit in the other slot.
    DDR1 is 184-pins, whereas 2 & 3 are 240-pin and will have a greater density when you see the two lying side by side.

Labelling: PC-xxxx typically indicates DDR1, PC2-xxxx, or PC3-xxxxx, will denote DDR2 & 3.

However, it will be much easier if you can identify your motherboard. Various programs can help you so you don't need to crack open the case or look in BIOS, and one that can do the taks is CPU-Z. When you run the program, it will have a tab, labled Memory and it will tell you what type. I don't know if Crucial still offers it, but they used to have a program on their website that would help point you to the right modules.

4. nilesh05

nilesh05 Geek Trainee

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.