how to install OS from network?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by smsouvik2008, Sep 17, 2009.

1. smsouvik2008

smsouvik2008 Geek Trainee

Hello everyone. This is Souvik from Kolkata. My laptop Lenovo 3000 G410's DVD drive cannot read CD/DVD. I have to reinstall OS. Would you please tell me how to install OS from LAN as I have another desktop PC which has LG combo? Please suggest me.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It really depends on the OS you're installing much more than the hardware itself. With Linux, just put it on a USB thumbdrive and install that way. With Windows, you can use an external DVD drive to do the installation. Or, depending on the version, you *might* be able to use the thumbdrive trick as well. With either OS you can do a network boot and a TFTP install, though this is not trivial and requires some existing infrastructure.

3. smsouvik2008

ok sir. i want to install windows XP SP3. Please help me with some solution.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

5. smsouvik2008

Sir i learnt the installation process using pendriv. Would you please please tell me the whole installation process from LAN? Please do me this favour. I tried googling. But it did not help me anyway. So please help me. I would be grateful to you. Thanking you very much. By

6. Whalechunks

Whalechunks Geek Trainee

I don't think you understand the complexity of this sort of procedure... Just get an external DVD drive and just use it for the time of the installation, you'll be avoiding a lot of headaches. Or if your BIOS supports the USB key as a boot device, use ANTI-TRENDs solution.

7. smsouvik2008

thank you very much for your kind response. please keep in touch. bye